S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

B5 S4 Trouble Starting Sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 AM
1st Gear
Angry B5 S4 Trouble Starting Sometimes.

So the problem started 3 months ago.. I started my car fine in the morning and drove it to school. Then later when i got out of class, i walk to my car and try to start my car and the starter turns but doesn't start up the engine.. So i retry a couple times but it still doesn't start. I wait for about 10-15 minutes then i try starting again and it works! The car was then fine for the rest of the day when it came to starting up and driving. After that day, every now and then the 2nd time I start the car after driving it in the morning it gives me the same problem.

I had just replaced all my spark plugs and coil packs couple months before this problem started happening, so I narrowed my problem down to the fuel pump. So I had that replaced 2 days ago. It drove fine that day and night with no problems and started up just fine. But yesterday when i drove it to the store and tried to start it to go home, it decided not to start up again.. and I had to wait like 15 minutes before it decided to start. Now I'm pretty frustrated with it, because I don't want to spend anymore money that I really shouldn't have to right now.

The Car isn't throwing any CEL's and it idles just fine. Has anyone else encountered this problem or know what else could be the culprit? The next major thing that i think it could be is the MAF, but I want to be sure this time before i shell out anymore $$$. Times are tough... but I need my car up and running and not have to worry about the car deciding not to start on me -_____-.

MODS:
APR Stage 2+ Software
AWE S-Flo Intake
Samco TBB
Piggy Pipes
Remus Exhaust with custom 3" Piping

Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

I had a similar problem where it wouldnt start up right away - but it was only right after getting gas. Turns out it was a bad fuel evap purge valve. It was a $30 part and took me 10 mins to replace. Only difference is I think mine threw a code about it. Might not be your problem but something to think about. Damn those intermittent problems!

BTW those are sick fog lights! Are those custom?

Last edited by FilterS4; 01-20-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 PM
1st Gear

next time this issue presents itself you need to see if the fuel pump is getting power. Could be a bad relay, which would be my guess based off the symptoms described.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

Hi, did you manage to find the problem? i have the exact same issue and its driving me mad! I usually have to wait for the temperature to drop to around 60 but sometimes even after that it takes another 10 minutes or so.. it only happens when i leave the car off for a while, if i turn it off and back on straight away it will allways work! even if the temp is on 90, and also it always starts first time in the morning when cold. any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-10-2014, 03:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Same Engine Start issue on Q7

Same exact issue as theiraqimc just began today, any suggestions? I will probably take it in within the next couple of days what I would like to see what solved this issue for some of you...

Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 AM
1st Gear

Jimmy, i replaced my crankshaft position sensor, that sorted it for me, hope its the same for you as the part was only about £12.