S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

basic maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja
Default basic maintenance questions

I Thought I'd finally get over the fear of the "German Monster" and open up the hood do some fluid checks...
Im so used to Japanese cars - I was a little intimidated at first.

I checked my oil level - which was low -
and added a quart.

1)How often is it necessary to "normally" have to add oil? just curious so I can keep an eye on it an make sure Im not
burning / losing too much. (no leaks / oil spots on the ground to be seen)

I also saw my coolant reservoir level was a little below the min. line. So I'll probably go out Tom. and buy some (G12?) this
is something only the dealer caries correct?

2)Is it normal to have coolant level drop to below the min line? I dont have any visible leaks - but I just wanted to make sure
I didnt have to run out to the dealer to have it checked out...

Thanks for the responses in advance !

Old 09-10-2005, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: basic maintenance questions

I usually go through a quart of oil in about 4000 miles. My car has 175K on it though so burning a little is normal. A lot of oil changing establishments do not fill the car all the way up. Just can't read the dipstick. I had Jiffy lube tell me once that it only took 4.5 quarts. I told them I would run it and be back in an hour to get my last quart. Sure enough they checked it an hour later and it was a quart low.

The water level being right at the low is normal too. At that point the reservoir has its seam (on mine) and is shaped funny and it opens up a lot. I actually find it hard to get between the high and low so I keep it above/at the low. Plus, it is supposed to be above low when fully warmed up so if it was cold, it should be fine. Audi fluids are definitely reccommended.

WATCH OUT on your power steering, the fluid is a special 20 dollar bottle don't use anything else (no matter what the autoparts store says)

On the coolant, there is an "idiot" light to tell you if the reservoir is low. It comes on when you are about an inch + below the low. If you have a leak you will know it.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja
Default RE: basic maintenance questions

Thanks Dan !

Coolant Warning light never came on - but I was curious bec. It was at the low mark (engine was cold). So it sounds like everything is
normal, I'll head out tomorrow and grab a quart of oil just to keep handy, and some coolant to keep me in the mid -

Thanks for the heads up.