S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Clutch/tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Clutch/tranny

So this is my first postand I guess I don't know where to start. I have a 2000 s4 completely stock but I havent really gotten this thing on the road as I bought it 5 months agowith the idea of working on it. I had a complete trans rebuild on the manual trans and whole new clutch assembly. After the rebuild I was hoping things would be all good to go but as the weather got colder here in chicago the trans was really hard to get in gear, almost impossible in the morning. After warming the car up for roughly 20-30 minutes the car goes into gear smooth. I had a light come on the dash and had that checked and it was the clutch solenoid....
So I assume this is a problem with the hydrolic system with the clutch But who knows... Also I was driving the car yesturday and the driveshaft cv joint ripped apart and needless to say my car does not move. I was ready to get movin on this project but the trans/clutch problem is really slowin me down and now this driveshaft bs.... I'm not giving up though

Old 12-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Default RE: Clutch/tranny

Sounds like a heck of a way to start out with a new (to you ) car. Keep plugging away at it though because when they're running right they are a very rewarding car to drive and very they are responsive to mods. Don't be a stranger and let us know how it goes. There is a lot of experienced knowledge floating around here use it to your advantage.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

It's been very frustrating for many months but I hope by the spring everything will be ready to go. I'mjust a little hesitant on spending all this money on a car that has 100k on it but what the hell.
I will be taking advantage of all this site has to offer.
thanks

Old 12-23-2007, 09:15 PM

The solenoid would be a very likely culprit to give you a hard time as well with your pedal feel and there should be on of those sayings that every day in the U.S. a cv boot rips on an S4 haha. Glad you are sticking with it!

Old 12-24-2007, 08:28 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: audi ops

there should be on of those sayings that every day in the U.S. a cv boot rips on an S4 haha. Glad you are sticking with it!
HAHA aint that the truth..i've had mine rip about three times since i've owned my car..it it just a problematic problem that they should make like a rip proof boot but unfortunately they dont..and the grease just sucks to clean off the rim and the brakes..

but hey good luck with your car and like red01 said the car is an awesome car once it is running and when you drive it everyday you will fall in love with it and do whatever it takes to get it running 100%..

an s4 with 100k on it is nothing to worry about they will run forever as long as they are well maintained.. i have seen a couple s4's with over 200k on the clock and they are running strong the only thing you will most likelybe replacing within the next 100,000 miles is the turbos and the timing belt , water pump and a few sensors here and there and some control arms ..IT IS NOT A CHEAP CAR BY ALL MEANS....but either way it is a well built car and made durable..not a FORD..

has your timing belt and water pump been done that you know of???????
if not you should definitely have that done, and it is not a cheap job ..but it is something you have to do cause if the belt breaks say goodbye to your engine..

good luck and let us know what goes down

Old 12-24-2007, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

I bought a timing belt kit from ECS and will be taking it in after I get it back from other repairs. I figure the first thing I will do after the timing belt/water pump/ auxillary pump/ thermostat/tensioners/snub mount/cam seals etc.. I will purchase a chip and then new Turbos. Not sure what turbos I want on there... Is there anything else I should replace when the timing belt kit goes on??

Old 12-24-2007, 01:43 PM

Justbe certainto check all of your hoses over really good while your in there. Clean the debris from the radiator, condenser, and intercoolers. Most of what you can replace you've already mentioned.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:45 PM
2nd Gear

remember your clutch does not run from hydraulic fluid...It's brake fluid.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

Have you guys ever seenor heard of the pulley on the water pump snap off??