S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Could turbo be blown with out having smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 07:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Could turbo be blown with out having smoke?

Last night I i pulled hard in 1st gear to about 5k rpm then i heard a pop/clunk whatever followed by rattling. Now this rattling is very hard to describe. It sounds kind of like little pieces of metal inside a metal fan. (i just explained a blown turbo, i know.) The sound did get louder if i gave the car gas. It sounded as if the noise was coming from the 12 o'clock region of the motor if your looking at it from the nose of the car.

So I drove it for about 2 more miles, very low key though. Parked it, went inside to go get a camera got inside the car, started it and the sound was gone. And this wasn't some faint sound, this was sound was loud enough for me to be embarrassed by bystanders.

My questions is, 1. can 1 of the turbos fail with the other in tact? ( i ask because i still hear spooling) 2. can a turbo fail with out the spy hunter smoke screen?

Best way to describe the sound is to listen to this youtube clip from 8sec in to about 12 sec in. The rattling you hear; he says its the turbine going through the exhaust. Well Idk if thats what happen to mine but I can tell you it sounded very similar to that but was constant.

Blowing up a K03 turbo on my B5 Audi S4 (smoke, epic fail, turbolady, oh no!) Part I (2003) - YouTube

Old 07-22-2012, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear

1.Yes, one turbo can go before the other.
2. when mine went i didnt get the smoke.

pull off your skid plate and check for pooling oil. Yo can also pull off one of your lower intercooler hoses to check for oil there too. oil tends to get into these places normally, so you want to look for an excess of oil.

If you heard the sound from the video, i'm pretty sure you blew a turbo. Does it whine, like a dentist drill?

Last edited by FonzoB5S4; 07-22-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

No whine at all. All I hear is the regular sounds of the car.

In another thread that is semi off topic to this one, someone said I probably am heat soaked. Would this effect anything?

How do i test for one bad turbo? And how do I test for heat soak?

Im ready to do a stage 3- upgrade to the K04s but i dont wanna go ahead do the upgrade and find out that it still hasnt fixed my problem of that noise/heat soak.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

Also wanted to add I changed the coolant temp sensor on this vehicle when I got it. It kept giving me problems on the install. (coolant always kept leaking) So I had to pull it out and mess with it 30 times. But if this was kind of faulty would it cause heat soak?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

Heat soak is when your intercoolers get too hot such as if you were going fast on a hot day constantly. It just makes your car really slow until they cool down and it wouldnt make any sort of sound you heard. I would not upgrade turbos if you dont upgrade the intercoolers but thats just me. Or it youre on a budget you could install water methanol injection.

Last edited by fourringking; 07-23-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

the hotter your engine gets the more hp you lose. Maybe your radiator is clogged/bad. Hows your coolant level? Do you have a heat shield with that s-flow?