S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

exhaust wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 PM
1st Gear
Default exhaust wrap?

I'm just curious,tried a search, and found nothing.

So my question is: Would wrapping piggies/DP's with exhaust tape (for headers) provide any advantage in HP, TQ or MPG? I would think one would get some decent flames out the tailpipe between gears at WOT, and the O2 sensors might not like that too much (or might burn out?), but what else?

Any input...?

Old 09-07-2007, 12:22 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: exhaust wrap?

I have seen a slight difference in faster spool up on other cars. Hotter gas moves towards cooler faster so your exhaust gas will want out faster. Never dynoed it before so didn't no of any gains except the slightly quicker spool up. I am going to wrap my downpipes when I get to that whole deal. It is a pain in *** and make sure you soak the stuff in water first as it works better and doesn't make such a mess. Wear long sleeve shirt and gloves for sure.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:39 AM
2nd Gear

whats that stuff made of?

you might notice cooler oil temps and cooler coolant temps... it will also take longer to warm up in the morning...

Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

I think it might also provide some sound dampening affects, more noticably on thin-gage large diameter DP's... you'll prolly have to do a couple layers though to make this work.

What about the sensors and the secondary cats? Would these burn out more quickly though???

Old 09-07-2007, 04:37 PM
3rd Gear

I have my DP's ceramic coated, & it did lower underhood temps a little.

I think more gains would be from wrapping the inlet pipes from heat, or the headers.

The downside it holds in water, & will rot after a while. HP from it? Hard to tell. I'd say you loose less HP from heat soak.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ZQ8GMC

I would think one would get some decent flames out the tailpipe between gears at WOT
Flames?!? not unless your going to gut all of the CATs... good luck ever seeing them, I do enjoy seeing them on mymotorcycle, but that is a completely different beast, and the pipes are all of three feet MAX.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: shawncumberland

ORIGINAL: ZQ8GMC

I would think one would get some decent flames out the tailpipe between gears at WOT
Flames?!? not unless your going to gut all of the CATs... good luck ever seeing them, I do enjoy seeing them on mymotorcycle, but that is a completely different beast, and the pipes are all of three feet MAX.
huh? why not? I've seen Stage II's that get a little flame out of the tp between shifts. It's not like a flame-throweror anything, but you can def. see it...

This was the only video I could find... IDK, for going WOT like that it seems really quiet, so I doubt he has all 4 gutted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBbBd...ted&search=

Old 09-08-2007, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

OK... so there are flames..!

the car video taping has the windows closed, so it is possible that all CATs are gutted on that S4... I used to have 3 inch downpipe and 3 inch with no CAT on a Eclipse GSX, and it wasn't loud... just groaned and rumbled.generally normally asperated honda's are louder.

just knowing what i know about cars, RAW unburned, or burning on it's way out of the cylinder and out the exhaust,is not the best thing in the world for your CAT, it will get clogged and then you will have to replace it.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:27 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: shawncumberland

just knowing what i know about cars, RAW unburned, or burning on it's way out of the cylinder and out the exhaust,is not the best thing in the world for your CAT, it will get clogged and then you will have to replace it.
exactly... that's why I'm a bit concerned. I figure that any unburned fuel will likely ignite itself by the turbos, however, if the DP's/piggies are wrapped they might hold & carry a lot of that heat to/past the CATS & sensors (i.e. not good?).

Then again, this might also happen with ceramic coatings, but atleast you won't have to worry about rotting as 2K eluded to...

Old 09-09-2007, 10:56 AM
3rd Gear

I bet that car doesn't have cats. As the cats job is to burn unburnt fuel.

I know how he is doing it, he is speed shifting, with hardly lifting off the gas. So in between shifts, it still dumping a lot of fuel, it's common on cars with out cats.

My old M3 used to do the same thing at the track.