S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

First Post Here - Tell me why I shouldn't...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:38 PM
1st Gear
Default First Post Here - Tell me why I shouldn't...

buy a 2004 S4.

I am looking for a car with a reasonable back seat, rear wheel drive (all wheel a bonus?), 6 speed, good power, good looks, good quality and dependable.

I have driven many cars lately, the S4 today. I like a bunch of them but my shortlist is the M3, G35 and S4. The M3 is fast and aggressive with BMW build quality and good resale. The ride is a bit stiffer than most but still satisfactory. The G35 is Japanese dependable, adequate power, good ride, nicely finished and looks nice.

Please fill in the blanks for me.

The S4_____________________________________________

Btw, the car I am looking at has a Miltek cat back, no res exhaust and a strat SSK. How is the sound of this exhaust and the quality of the shifter?

Thanks in advance,

Al

Old 11-11-2004, 11:29 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: First Post Here - Tell me why I shouldn't...

The day i can tell you not to buy an S4 is the day clinton returns to office. GET IT. get it quattro too. It's not only a bonus, it's the christmas salary your boss never gave you. M3 and G35 are GREAT cars, but if you want a subtle smoker, yet not quite a sleeper car, go audi. want to compensate for... somethin? go BMW

Old 11-12-2004, 07:18 PM

BMW out dated interior, only rear wheel drive available, to many people have them

G35 rear wheel drive only, ugly dash lights, personally find the ride a little to soft for me

S4 all wheel drive, awsome Recaro seats, fast, great styling

I was told one that you own a Audi you will never want anything different I didn't belive it as first just though it was a sales pitch but now I own one its true a few of my friends have BMW's and I don't like those at all but thats my own opinion have you driven the S4 yet ?

Old 11-12-2004, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

clconversion,

I drove the S4 for the first time yesterday. I did like the handling, the performance was good, steering tight, good road feel but not too harsh. i am a big guy and I filled the recaros I think to the max. I wouldn't want to be any larger.

My last car was a BMW M5 and certainly is a hard act to follow.

I had a line on a nearly new 04 with 4,700 miles and was calling the guy to make an appt to see it, but he told me today it was sold. So now I'm starting over.

Thanks for your comments.

Al

Old 11-13-2004, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

best of luck. you have a tough choice ahead of you. I was torn between an E36 M3 and B5 S4 but you can tell where i ended up.

Old 11-15-2004, 03:46 PM
4th Gear

S4 all wheel drive, its a beast of a machine. not taking anything away from the other cars, but ive driven all of the ones u listed (valet parking) and audi is the best to drive. If u dont believe me look at car and driver maginzes and such, they will tell u also. Its a fun ride seden with *****.

Old 11-16-2004, 09:48 PM
1st Gear

With the choices your presenting Id go with the S4. Is this going to be your everyday car,? with commuting and what not? DEFINETLY go with the S4 if it will be ... the M3 is slightly faster ,( then again it also weighs less), but the S4 is no where near slow in the first place. The S4 is a much better everyday driver with ridiculous power. Also, in rain, snow, sleet, etc it will handle like a dream... Now the G on the other hand, beautiful car, relativley quick, VERY popular on the road ( Personally I wouldnt like having what everyone seems to be driving), like you said its Jap which is always awesome, but Ive also seen a G35 spin across a highway and hit a pole, yes the person was driving a bit agressive ( He was comming out of a shopping center, floored it when he saw an opportuinity to enter the busy highway, and lost control, somehow avoiding to hit any other vechiles), but I really thought that the handling should have held up stronger?, but hey suprise suprise. Anyway ...go with the S4, the 04 is truely and amazing car. Either way, with any purchase Im sure youll be happy. Good Luck!

Sara

Old 11-16-2004, 09:52 PM

you really didn't like the handling ? the M5 is going to be nice but its still a very big car and its rear wheel drive

Old 11-22-2004, 01:57 AM
1st Gear

HONESTLY, i had the same choice, GET THE S4..... think about this.... yes they both are fast and yes they are both beautifuly crafted but which one turns more heads.... THE AUDI. this is because no one sees S4's as much as M3 or M5. when i was younger i used to see an M3 and be like oh there is ANOTHER one, SOOO many on the road,,, when i saw a S4 i would trip over myself lookin at it. I knew i had the passion for the AUdi when i first saw one at 12 years old. TRUST ME, best decision u will make.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:07 PM
4th Gear

haha very true! M3 r everywhere, but S4s def stand out esp if u got mods, itll turn heads trust me!