S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

I think my timing jumped... need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:14 PM
4th Gear
Question I think my timing jumped... need help

Ok, So i FINALLY got my audi back together but once i put the timing belt back on it looks like the passenger side cam gear is off by one tooth but I don't know for sure. THere is no markings to line it up so i have no way of knowing. However the drivers side looks right because the place where you put the cam gear holder thing are straight across while the passenger side gear is not. Here are pictures showing what it looks like. Any ideas???

here you can see both gears. Notice how the one on the left is not straight.

Closeup of the one on the left.

Any help would be great. I am trying to get it back together ASAP.

Thanks

Josh

Old 11-29-2008, 05:05 PM
2nd Gear

yeah.. its off.. if you cant get the holder on it then thats kinda a no brainer... did the belt break? if you were doing a maintenance tb change then the cam holder shoulda been installed prior to removing the belt.. if it did break and you tried to install a new one.. im afraid that it may have bent the valves....

Old 11-29-2008, 05:17 PM
4th Gear

I don't have the holder with me... i know the bolts should be straight across though correct? And no the belt did not break. The timing belt tensioner pulley did (the bolt that holds it on did) so I had to replace that. But the engine still ran when i took it apart so I know nothing is bent.

Josh

Old 11-29-2008, 10:06 PM
2nd Gear

okay... hrm.. well if you dont have the holder.. see.. ive done a number of timing belts with or without special tools used to hold cams in place on interference engines.. i would remove all the spark plugs so the engine is easy to turn by hand. then id find something or someone to hold the driverside camshaft in place.. id loosen the tensioner.. you may have to remove it and recompress.. id see how much play you get when you loosen it and use the assigned allen hex.. then id get as much slack on that cam thats off and move it a tooth till its aligned properly.. or is it the driverside cam thats off a tooth?? what is the position of the crank.. is it lined up just right??

Old 11-30-2008, 12:19 AM
4th Gear

ok, it's all back together... well the timing belt that is... i can't finish putting it together till i get a new crank pulley bolt. Not the big 24mm one, the smaller allen ones. I stripped the head on one taking it off and need to get another from the dealership on monday. No one else in town has one.

Josh