S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

strange knocking when turning...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: strange knocking when turning...

my first thoguht was the control arm as well... is it on the left side of the car by chance?

Old 03-20-2006, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

yes, its on the left side (driver's side), had the shop look at it on friday, its the upper front control arm (cost from dealer is $204, cost from blauparts.com is $96)

ORIGINAL: sooks

my first thoguht was the control arm as well... is it on the left side of the car by chance?

Old 03-21-2006, 03:11 AM
Site Moderator

good thing you got that resolved. Oddly enough i may also have the same thing on my right front end. However my noise is more of a hum. Im thinking wheel bearing but im having a hard time figuring it out because it isnt happening all that frequently and i generally am only hearing it at about 5-10mph and will go away if i brake. I think i have pretty low miles for a wheel bearing being only at 35k... but who knows if i hit a pothole or something..

Old 03-21-2006, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

i'm having a similar problem when turning left...parking, sharp turns, etc....click click click.....click click click... sounds like there's a twig caught in the wheelwell....(i checked..no twig). did you hear these sounds when turning both ways?

Old 03-21-2006, 10:50 PM
1st Gear

mine wasn't a clicking, it was more of a klunking... yours sounds more like a CV joint, if you talk with audi dealer, they MAY look at your car for nothing... look into that... the did my estimate for free...

ORIGINAL: masterk

i'm having a similar problem when turning left...parking, sharp turns, etc....click click click.....click click click... sounds like there's a twig caught in the wheelwell....(i checked..no twig). did you hear these sounds when turning both ways?

Old 04-01-2006, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: masterk

now that sounds more like joints than control arms. get under there, pull back on the boots, if fairly dry or the grease left looks rusty or milky, it's old and prolly in need of some tlc.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the response....my mechanic is guessing that its the axle...but the noise has since stopped...no more clicking. I called the thieves at Audi and they said when I had the cv boot replaced, some of the crap, grease, whatever might have gotten in there which has been known to cause clicking...hopefully that was it...if not, i'll be on the side of the highway one day.