Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

Knocking Noise From Front Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Knocking Noise From Front Suspension?

Hello to all. I have recently noticed a strange noise coming from the front suspension. The noise usually occurs when going over bumps or when coming to a stop, though the noises are slightly different. When going over bumps, the noise sounds like a loose bolt along with a single knocking sound on both sides. When coming to a stop, it is a fairly loud clunk that seems to be coming from the center of the front suspension. I have already gone to the dealer to get everything checked out and according to them, there is nothing wrong though they have heard the noise i was telling them about. A friend of mine said it might be the strut mounts, but could that be the source of the problem?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

I believe i have the same issue as you! I have a 2005.5 A4 2.0t with tein super street damper coilovers/shocks and it's lowered a lot but not slammed. I have to go slow on bumps etc else ouch the front scraps but i don't have to snake it because it's not that low!

Ok so in the front you can hear rattling and clunking once in a while like under the pedals. It is soooooo annoying you have no idea it;s liek if something is loose. My mechanic told me that it's because of my suspension that my car is too low? But i see all these audis much lowers like 2cm before it hits the fender mine is like half an inch gap from tire and fender...

and that he is going to raise the front half an inch to see if the noise goes away or gets better. I don't want to raise my car...i love it the way it is. :/

My friend has an acura rsx typse s and his is definately on the lowest setting lol. He told me his did the noise i describe but he would just use suspension grease evewry 3 months on everywhere he thought metal to metal or anythign that he thoiught would make noise and he would grease it up.

So...i guess i will talk to my mechanic about the grease maybe have him make sure all bolts are at the correct torque etc. This weekend he will do it so i will let you know how it goes and i would appreciate if you do the same and keep me updated on any solution

here is a pic of the height of my car...isn't as low as everyone else i've seen lol

Last edited by slolatino; 08-28-2012 at 07:52 PM.