95 Audi 90 2.8 L intermittent stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 PM
1st Gear
Default 95 Audi 90 2.8 L intermittent stalling

200, 000 miles on engine. Cold and warm starts fine, and idles fine at cold start, but not warm. Stalls upon quick slow downs or coming to a stop after driving, or while downshifting and stalls at idleing. Appears to be a warmed up engine issue. Something gumming up possibly. Stalls more readily as was intermittent, not so often a handful of days ago. Today, cool rainy and misty, wouldn't idle coming to stops or quick slow downs. Vehicle sat for over a year with no operating or startiing. Do not know the maintenance history prior to last owner. I think this car was taken care of mechanically. Just looking for a rundown or list of things to look at. I feel like I should start with a good Fuel injection cleaner and go from there, but if that doesn't work then I need that list of possible other concerns. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by pcurtice; 05-23-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

hi, is there like a pop when your slowing down in lower gears, like a misfire? how is it stalling, can you elaborate more?

here is what i would check and i am doing the same to mine as we seem to have a similar problem in that it only surfaces when you have been doing a lot of start and stop driving.

first of all do a service inc fuel filter and when your doing the oil do a complete engine flush and clear all the carbon in the engine.

secondly check your plugs and leads and replace if necessary, thirdly check all of your sensors again replace if necessary

if the problem still exists then check your injectors and clean them whilst you are there. if any arent working and are stuck open/close then replace. try car again and see if it has gone, if not then work your way back to the ignition coil and check that over.

please let us know how you get on

Old 09-29-2011, 11:36 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice. I had the fuel lines replaced, because they needed it. This drastically reduced the intermittent stalling to very seldom. Seems the more I drove it the less it stalled. Cleaned all ignition coil contacts and used dielectic grease at coil. Ended up selling the Audi 90 to one of it's previous owners who is a foreign auto mechanic, now playing with a 96 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. I do appreciate your advise and time.