Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

brake pad warning light

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 02:22 PM
1st Gear
Default brake pad warning light

Hi, I have the brake pad warning light on my clock cluster,on my 2006 a3 2.0 tdi, I have checked the pads on front and back, and the 2 front are brand new, with new discs too, and the back passenger side has had new pads fitted, but the back passenger side pads are worn out, so my question is, do the rear pads have sensors, I was told they dont, so i am a little confused as to why the warning light has come on if not, thanks

Old 11-04-2016, 04:13 PM
2nd Gear

Only the front pads have sensors. I'm not aware of any models with sensors in the back (I know my A3 8p did not have any).

If you have a tool to scan your audi do it and see what kind of error you are receiving. If it is indeed the brake pad wear sensor - It depends on what is causing the issue. The alarm is normally triggered when the pads are at 20ish % life left which brakes the wire connecting into the pad and therefore creating an open circuit. While the pads are intact the wire is fine and a short circuit is created telling the computer all is well.
So with that information you can inspect the brake pads and wires for any damage. Maybe the connector itself came lose?
If everything appears fine and the issue is within the brake pad but you are annoyed by the warning light you can disable it with VAG COM or cut the wires going into the pad and short them (use heat-shrink tape or some electrical tape!). Either way please make sure you inspect your pads regularly (like with every oil change) to make sure they are not low and you don't end up destroying your rotors or even end up with failed brakes.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:01 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by sheldon
Only the front pads have sensors. I'm not aware of any models with sensors in the back (I know my A3 8p did not have any).

If you have a tool to scan your audi do it and see what kind of error you are receiving. If it is indeed the brake pad wear sensor - It depends on what is causing the issue. The alarm is normally triggered when the pads are at 20ish % life left which brakes the wire connecting into the pad and therefore creating an open circuit. While the pads are intact the wire is fine and a short circuit is created telling the computer all is well.
So with that information you can inspect the brake pads and wires for any damage. Maybe the connector itself came lose?
If everything appears fine and the issue is within the brake pad but you are annoyed by the warning light you can disable it with VAG COM or cut the wires going into the pad and short them (use heat-shrink tape or some electrical tape!). Either way please make sure you inspect your pads regularly (like with every oil change) to make sure they are not low and you don't end up destroying your rotors or even end up with failed brakes.
its ok i have sussed it, it is a broken wire to the front sensor, i will cut it and re-connect it with some bullet connectors, thanks