Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

I just drove a.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:38 PM
1st Gear
Default I just drove a.....

McLaren SLR...

tons of torque, wicked sounding, supercharger whine plus a v8 rumble is just the best symphony EVER. The push button start on the shifter is a cool touch.

Ok, now for the bad parts.
Its a COMPLETELY purposeless car. Its rides like any other mercedez, meaning not very sporty, quite comfortable actually, but it fails to follow on that theme with the deeply bolstered seats, which I like, but someone who wants a car with a smooth ride would hate. Tons of sports car like power...mated to a standard slushbox automatic, no manual option at all. Why would they do something like that? Its not like its a automated manual like the DSG, or an F1 style trans, its just a slushbox. And the absolute worst aspect of the car is the brake pedal. Its floor mounted, which isnt a bad thing if mouted properly, but the way its mounted its like you have to push the pedal up over a hill if that makes sense. Its very akward and unnatual feeling and to me made driving the car quite frightening since the way it traveled it was either on quite hard or off the brakes.

Overall an awesome car to drive, but even if i had the money i'd NEVER buy it.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:33 AM
Default RE: I just drove a.....

Wow, you suck. I mean that in the most envious way. At least you figured out a supercar that you can cross off your list. LOL

Cheers!

Old 06-16-2007, 12:51 AM
1st Gear

that one and several others are crossed off!

Old 06-17-2007, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

I've sat in one. Very bolstered seats, and the interior was cramped, the B-pillar was right next to my head, and the hood is a long, long way out there.

It's an awesome looking car from the outside, though!

Old 06-17-2007, 08:05 AM
2nd Gear

If one was to buy a mercedes i'd say the hell with the Mclaren,save the money and get their C32 amg, or the E55 amg.

My cousin has that C32 amg hell of a car, compact and about 300 and something HP.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:49 PM

I was driving next to an E63 AMG yesterday and it was awesome looking. Nice amount of power, luxury, and extreme performance with the twin-turbo V12. It was very nice.

Cheers!

Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 PM
1st Gear

I have to ask, did you drive the 722? So the McMerc did not do it? From what I understand, they put a crap load of money and are never going to do this again... I read an article on the SLR vs. Koenigsegg CCX and that is the difference between a true sport car and a fixer upper.

I personally believe it is ludicrous to pay more than $150K for any Mercedes, Audi or BMW. I do not care if it is all carbon, handmade, serves you coffee, comes with its own lady friend to service the driver [8D], from McLaren or Lamborghini, whoever or whatever. If you are going to spend that much cash they are better cars out there. Not many, granted. Then again, I will probably not have to worry about spending that much money in a car personally so this is kind of a pointless argument but I just like to argue for the sake of arguing, just because I can and you cannot stop me. Unless you are a moderator of course... Freedom of Speech! Bah, autocracy I tell you, this is the world we live in!

Anyway Falcom, next time you try out another supercar, try to invite a friend or two. That is what friends do!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:38 PM

Um Yeah an E 63 has a V8...No E-class car made by Merc has a V12
And I like the SLR but would take an 08 C63 (V8 again) over a SLR any day

Old 10-27-2007, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

on the contrary hovsepdov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEV4P0JYVZ8

thank brabus for that one.

coming from the mb forums for over a year and a half, i've seen it all. brabus rocket [cls]. brabus rocket [c63] so mb has the power... when its been tuned by kleeman, amg, brabus, lorinser, etc. However, their market for aftermarket parts is only for the E-Class and following in a close second, the C-class, after that, everything else kinda doesnt exsist. The SLR is a beast of a car, if you're driving the 722. I'll agree on the slush box auto as it feels so unsporting to have that much power/torque and feel like a retard cause you cant shift on your own. Its super rare to find a MB with a manny-trani as is.

I agree with olivier, its pointless to put that much money into a car thats a depreciating asset, well, in my eyes. I'd rather take a 'sub'-super car and dump a few grand into it and have it be a beast [m3, vette, c63, etc]. but again, thats just me.