Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

new guy looking for your input...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 PM
1st Gear
Default new guy looking for your input...

Hey all.
New guy to this forum and new guy to the Audi family. Gotta say so far, I'm in love...
However, I'm not so new guy when it comes to building rally cars, albeit a few years ago and with Hondas/Acuras. And Jeeps.
Now, I'm older and (hopefully) a bit wiser but I still have an appreciation for crisp performance in automobiles. For me, the stock A3 is about 80% there.
And, as much as I enjoyed studying and building my past Hondas, I really don't have the luxury of time (or experience w/Audi) to spend investigating the *right* upgrades for this car. And I suppose I could read all these forum posts and distill down to what I'm looking for, but going back to that lack of time thing...

So with that, please give me your opinions on the following upgrades:
> Intake. Presently I'm thinking Neuspeed.
> RR Sway Bar. Again, Neuspeed. 25mm. Should I consider front sway bars? Front end seems pretty tight...
> Chip. Either APR or Revo. Any others I should be considering? Pros? Cons?
> Exhaust. Miltek. Cat back, non-resonator.
> Turbo Discharge. Neuspeed. Maybe, we'll see...
> Short shift kit. ?? Open to ideas...
Anything I'm missing? Any ideas on ignitions (MSD doesn't seem to have an A3 application)?
FYI-not really interested in gonzo horsepower (ie: NOS or turbo upgrades )...I don't want to blow it up and any more jail time = divorce.
Oh, might help to tell ya what I'm working on: '06 A3, 2.0L T, 6sp trans, sport suspension.
I'll post pic's and such later. Gotta run. Please LMK...
Thanx so much!
-Ken

Old 11-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Default RE: new guy looking for your input...

Ive been in the trade for over ( well many years ) and never had to ask this sort of question regardless of make of car the answer is obvious do the research

Old 11-07-2006, 08:19 PM

In twenty minutes you can answer your own questions, but I'll throw in what I can.

APR is definitely the chip favorite. Most people have it over REVO and GIAC. CAI is centered around the sound you desire. I believe the APR Carbino is quieter than the Neuspeed. Exhaust is only if you really want something extra. It is generally more for sound that perfomance. I think you get 10-15 hp on that $1,000 upgrade. I would, however, try to disuade you from messing with the suspension. The sport suspension is plenty tight and there really is no reason for modifications, IMO. I think you will be more than happy with the chip and a CAI. Gradual is the best, there is always room to go on.

Welcome to the family.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

ummm...yeah, thanx Dave. Appreciate your help.
I'm asking for peoples experiences with the upgrades I identified.
Not so 'obvious' unless you ask.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: A3guy

ummm...yeah, thanx Dave. Appreciate your help.
I'm asking for peoples experiences with the upgrades I identified.
Not so 'obvious' unless you ask.
I have the REVO chip and love it. Not much difference between the APR and REVO chip from what I've seen except price and some early issues with the APR program that seems to be solved.

I have the prototype K&N CAI and I think it's a big gain on these cars. Friends have the EVOMS and Carbonio and I would also purchase the EVOMS without a doubt, but pass on the Carbonio due to its continued restriction on air intake and price, even though it probably stays the coolest. CAT-back exhaust won't due much for performance gains, but definitely change the sound. A CAT-delete downpipe will help performance gains with only a little added noise, although it won't help with emissions. I agreee with getting the Neuspeed 25mm rear sway bar and that's next up on my list. I have the sports suspension too and probably won't add coilovers or drop it at all. Possibly changing rims and tires, but that's all.

There's my $.02 worth.

BTW, the car is much much faster now!!! Over your 20% needed gain IMO.

Cheers!

Old 11-08-2006, 06:04 AM
SoCal Crew Member

I have APR chip, compared to REVO, it's pretty much dead even

as for sway bar, i have the neuspeed 25 mm bar with the dual adjustable brackets, i got chose to go stiffer and it makes corner like no other (i take round-a-bout to merge onto fwy's at 60mph!!!!! =) i haven't heard of anyone using the H&R bar yet

as for CAI, i have the EVOMS, just because the tubing made of plastic instead of metal, and that the Neuspeed reps that i talked to didn't know much about their OWN products when i called them up.

you DEFINATELY should change out your motormount, with you're into pushing your car to the limit, i suggest getting a stiffer motor mount so that for one, the stock mount isn't made for a modified audi, and two, your audi will react so much faster when you change gears, my car's weight doesn't shift so much between gears with the VF engineering mounts.

Exhaust.......... well....... depends why the reason WHY you would want it for...... performance? looks? sounds? so it all depends........ i think as for me, i'm hold off on the exhaust and get new rims and tires first.

hope this info is good enough for you.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Hey thanx. Good stuff.

As I'm sure you're aware, stuff generally doesn't live up to it's advertising. And tech spec's are usually generated in a controlled environment, not the real world. Parts that are 'perfect fit'- aren't, work in a certain way- don't, increase HP, fuel efficiency, and traction-not so much. So with the cost of some of this stuff, it's good to get real world experience from those that have and are using the parts I'm interested in.

You and the few others that have (positively) replied have helped in my final stages of investigation.

I'm still looking for some input about short shift kits, though...

Thanx again!

Old 11-08-2006, 01:00 PM

With some upcoming bonus money I'm investing in the rear sway bar, ss kit, and the boost gauge. I'll definitely post my experiences with the short shift kit after install. Likewise, if you beat me to it.

Cheers!