Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

What do they actually do when you are chipped?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:32 PM
1st Gear
Default What do they actually do when you are chipped?

I know in the old days you had to actually pop the hood, but I understand that they don't have to do that with the '06 A3. What do they actually do and how long does it take? I heard there is a port somewhere. Do they just plug in their computer and it's done like magic? Also, what do you have to do to switch it back to the factory settings?

Old 06-09-2006, 01:55 AM
Default RE: What do they actually do when you are chipped?

Chipping the A3 is technically a "reflash" of the current ECU. The ECU can be reflashed countless times nowadays. The connect a computer to your OBDII port and upload the software to your ECU. The process takes about 15 minutes or so. The new program can be altered or changed very quickly by the shop who gave you the chip or by various aftermarket devices from the chip company designed to run different programs. The change of programs takes a few seconds. Pretty easy and straightforward as mods go.

Definitely get that A3 chipped. You'll be absolutely amazed at how fast these things really are.

Cheers!

Chef

Old 06-09-2006, 03:09 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Chef. I'm definately going to be chipping though I just bought my A3 and I've read you should wait about 5000 miles. Does that sound right? Where is the OBDII port anyway? Though the performance gains are definately worth it, it seem a little pricey for 15 minutes of nonlabor work, don't you think?

Old 06-09-2006, 03:18 AM

I waited for 5000 miles because I wanted to make sure there were not bugs with the car, the engine was broken in, and I understood how the car acted and ran as stock. I more fully appreciate the chip now and understand when something doesn't seem correct. I suggest waiting awhile and getting in sync with your car before doing any mods. It'll also give you time to read, study, and figure out what you really want to do to your car first.

The OBDII port is under the dash about where your clutch leg would be. Just look underneath and you'll see a trapazodal multi-pin port.

Remember, what your paying for in a chip program isn't really the tech who installs the flash, but mostly the R&D it took to analyze the data from the car and construct the correct program. You're paying for the software, not the labor.

If you send me a PM, I'll give you some more insight on chips and prices that I've paid for mine. Promised that I wouldn't do it on the open forum.

Cheers!

Chef

Old 06-09-2006, 06:28 AM
SoCal Crew Member

oh, and depending on what co you go with, with REVO, i think it comes with a switch to switch back and forth from stock to your performance, program, but if you go with APR, your switch is your cruise control lever..

Old 06-09-2006, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

You aren't paying for the 5 minutes it takes to upload the program, you are paying for the years of experience it takes to come up with a powerful tune that won't blow up peoples engines, the dyno time, the wideband 02 gauges, the testing, the breaking of the audi computer code, etc etc.

Lots and lots of R&D

what chips actually change on turbo cars usually revolves around raising the boost levels slightly, and adjusting the fuel and spark timing.