Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 2.0t a4 oil pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 AM
1st Gear
Default 06 2.0t a4 oil pump failure

A4 family, can you shed some light on my issue?

alright so on my 06 2.0t audi a4 i have a oil pump failure@ 104,xxx miles that the dealer detected while i doing some service to the car. Now i do understand that my model and year is run by a CHAIN DRIVEN OIL PUMP and most review and forums i read about my problem say that it is a design that is determined to fail. why? simple reason its run by a CHAIN -_-.......
the 07' and up from what i understand it run by GEAR DRIVEN OIL PUMP, so if your reading this and worrying about this on your audi a4 07'+, don't.
pretty much what im trying to say is i got LUBBED for buying this year -_-

Reading more about my issue and seeing if there is any other possible way to fix this issue without having to go through audi and pay there expensive price... o f$2400 with labor included.... the price for the oil pump is $1350 its self and the labor rate of 150/hr another $1100

ofcourse im not going to go to the dealer and pay there labor rate, GERMAN PERFORMANCE in riverside,CA and other 3rd party companies do the same work for less FYI.. i found the labor rate for this repair to be $500 bucks
But here is the issue if the oil pump is faulty then there is no way around this and you have to go buy the oil pump from audi...

the oil pump for the 06'+ 2.0t is bassicly the bottom half of the engine and thats why it costs so much for the part, i get that... but is there anything else i should do? i had AUDI check the oil pump when i was getting it serviced
they checked for a FAULTY sensor and they checked the pressure at idle which came out okay . they checked out the pressure and 2000 rpms and thats when the failure came and was found.

I can also tell there is a problem witht the chain because when i first start the car you get this loud sound... like a grinder...

so question to you guys, how can i change this pump to a gear driven oil pump?
is there anything else i should do before taking this big hit?
what have i not done?

thanks for reading my long post and thanks for letting me be a member

Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 AM
1st Gear

i forgot to say, the only thing they missed while servicing my car and checking on the oil pump is actually removing the pan from the bottom and actually making sure that the pump is dead and gone.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 oil pump problem

Aimlesspoo,

You are very fortunate that your dealer was able to anticipate a problem, and that you were already over 100,000 miles. I had bought my '06 in '07 with 13,000 miles on it and an Audi Assurance warranty of 5 years/100,000 miles. However, my new-driver children drove it so over the next 6 years, we only put another 67,000. Out of warranty based on time not use, my son was driving Saturday night and he said he saw, briefly, the oil pressure light go on. Within seconds, as he pulled off the road, he heard a huge bang, and then the car stopped. He managed to push it off the road and out of danger and called me.

The engine is totaled, seized due to oil deprivation. We have the full amount of oil in the car, it just wasn't getting to the engine and like a heart attack, the engine died. This should not happen at 80,000 miles, obviously. They had many problems with the oil pumps this year, as you pointed out, and yet will not take responsibility for it. I gave been on the phone for two days with every level of Audi and all they seem to be able to say is "you are out of warranty."

The only option is to pay a tow truck to tow it to the dealership, then pay them somewhere around $500 to take the engine apart and determine the exact cause and then "if they find something they will see what Audi wants to do for me but it won't be much since it already has 80,000 miles on it."
Forget it! I'm not that dumb. Already out $5000 I was quoted to replace with a pre-owned motor, I'm not investing another $750 or so just to have them offer me a pittance that I will then have to use at the dealership where the same work was quoted at $2950 more to begin with!

I am very very very unhappy and will never buy another Audi ever. My $38,000 vehicle, now worth $12,321 as per kbb.com, is now going to cost me almost half of what it is worth just to out it back on the road to sell.