Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A4 1.8tq Not Starting, Also Making A Squealing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:14 AM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A4 1.8tq Not Starting, Also Making A Squealing Noise

Well, it has happened, she broke down
2000 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Was starting on a daily basis, one day I started it up and it started squealing (sounded like a belt squeal) and then smoke started coming up out of the engine bay. I immediately turned the car off, and went to check under the hood, by that time the smoke had blown away and I couldn't see where it had come from.
I tried to start it up again, and it would just CRANK, not start. It cranks really hard and it sounds like it should be starting, but it just wont catch and start. The squealing noise is also present when I try to crank it, not as piercingly loud but present nonetheless.

I have replaced the belt tensioner, and I have verified that the alternator is not frozen, it spins freely and the one way clutch in it is working properly.

I am going to get the battery checked today before anything else, although I think that it is fine.

The car is getting spark (verified by pulling plug with coil and I saw it spark), the car is getting fuel as well, the plugs had fresh gasoline on the end of them when I pulled them.

This leads me to believe I have some sort of electrical problem, of course I am probably wrong.

**I have engine codes, but no one in Pittsburg, Kansas has a VAGCOM, or even a freaking scanner that I can borrow.

Anyway, I appreciate any and all input, I know with all the knowledge on this site that someone has probably gone through the same thing as me and can steer me in the right direction.

-Andy

Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

I have to say that without first diagnosing the sound I wouldn't be trying to start it..

If you cannot see anything wrong with your serpentine belt pulleys its probably something binding against your timing belt.. If that was to snap it would mean thousands of dollars in damage..

If you cannot see anything wrong or don't know what your looking for I would highly recommend having your local euro mechanic take a look.. I would trailer it to the shop.. If its quattro make sure its a trailer or a wrecker as you can screw up your gear box by dollying it.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM
1st Gear

Well, what should I look for when inspecting the timing belt? It was replaced 5k miles ago, the car has 145k, so could it really be the timing belt? There are no euro shops around here, and I absolutely do not trust any shops here in Pittsburg working on my car.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

I looked at the timing belt, it is still moving when the car cranks, I can't tell if the sound is coming from it though

Old 05-14-2013, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

It could be a seized pulley or your water pump.. Was any of that changed when you changed the t-belt?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

The last owner gave me the receipts for the work. Looks like the water pump was replaced, along with all the belts, but none of the pulleys were changed out. Although when I cranked it, all the pulleys seemed to be moving. I havent checked every pulley for free movement however, would a semi seized pulley prevent my car from starting?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Sorry to keep posting, but I went and took a picture of this, I feel like the timing belt is not supposed to look like this?
**Also couldn't figure out how to add picture directly, if you have trouble viewing this, let me know! Sorry

photo_zpscfa60ae1.jpg Photo by Tropski | Photobucket

Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

Nope, it kinda looks like it got really hot and now you can see where the ribs in the belt are.. Its something seized in the timing area.. I'm not sure what you can do besides take it to a mechanic (if you arnt a mechanic).. Its really not a project for the novice/intermediate mechanic..

Sorry for the bad news..

Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 PM
1st Gear

PS, a timing belt is going to cost you at least $1000.. But if it snaps: your pistons are going to smack your valves and it will potentially require extensive head work up to even needing a new head. So I highly recommend not to keep trying to start it..

Old 05-14-2013, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your input Storm, I'm thinking it has to be something timing related. I found some really good DIY on this, and I am in college for automotive so I think I will endeavor to do this myself. Does anyone else have any input about the timing belt? Has anyone else had first hand experience with the timing belt doing this?