Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 2.8 30V Camshaft Tensioner Photos WITHOUT removing/loosening Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear
Default A4 2.8 30V Camshaft Tensioner Photos WITHOUT removing/loosening Timing Belt

If anyone was ever in doubt that the Camshaft Tensioner on a 2.8 A4 could NOT be removed without removing the timing belt or releasing the tension on the belt etc. It can be done without forcing ANYTHING! This is, however, the passenger side. I will do the driver's side next.

And to be quite honest, you do NOT have to remove the front end at all, I had removed mine for some modifications to the front end and an A/C leak I am chasing down. In retrospect though, it really is NOT necessary as long as you put your car at TDC! Again, this is on a 1998 Audi A4 2.8 30V.

I did NOT remove the TB or anything timing related, or even the caps on the Exhaust Camshaft, and it went well on the removing. I had the vice grips on the belt in the photo just in case.

I am also attaching photo of the old and new tensioner.

I followed these two DIYs:
quattroworld.com Forums: Replacing cam chain tensioner and/or pads on bank #1 of 40V motor (shorter cut)... (for an A8, but about the same)

and this one from Auditech79
Cam Tensioner DIY - AudiForums.com

Also want to thank Kamil for sending me copies of his manual (since I researched this Camshaft Tensioner removal without timing belt removal extensively before attempting and read everything I could find)

Hope this helps someone, or re-assures them that it is possible. If you have questions or comments, please post or PM me....

Thanks to everyone else who has posted their little adventures with the Camshaft Seal and Tensioner as well....

Attached Thumbnails A4 2.8 30V Camshaft Tensioner Photos WITHOUT removing/loosening Timing Belt-tensioners.jpg   A4 2.8 30V Camshaft Tensioner Photos WITHOUT removing/loosening Timing Belt-tb1.jpg   A4 2.8 30V Camshaft Tensioner Photos WITHOUT removing/loosening Timing Belt-tb2.jpg  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:53 PM
2nd Gear

WOW my pictures suck....it's dark at night in the garage......anyway, here it is back together again (whiteout timing marks don't line up anymore because I turned the engine a bunch of times listening for abnormal noises - none). Timing is still dead on.

Someone said putting the tensioner and camshaft back in is a big pain...take your time...took me about 15 minutes and I got it in and lined up.

Good night! Enjoy your Audi's....

Attached Thumbnails A4 2.8 30V Camshaft Tensioner Photos WITHOUT removing/loosening Timing Belt-cs3.jpg   A4 2.8 30V Camshaft Tensioner Photos WITHOUT removing/loosening Timing Belt-cs4.jpg  
Old 02-23-2020, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

Will this method work for the drivers bank? My vehicle is a 2004 Passat v6. I was attempting to replace the camshaft tensioner gaskets, but accidentally broke the pad under the timing chain using the special tool. I have replacement pads, but can not figure a way to lift out the tensioner, being that the timing belt cover is in the way. I replaced the timing belt last year, so would really prefer to leave it on. From what other forum posts say, I should remove the timing belt, cover, and sprocket, then lift the cams out. Basically I'm looking for a shortcut, haha.
Thank you.