Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 05:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Blown Engine

I've searched around for solutions to my blown engine in my 2001.5 a4 1.8tqm. The only results I've found, however, are pointless ramblings about the waste of time/effort/stupidity of trying to throw a s4 engine into the a4.

Looking past all of this, what would be the most efficient way to go about getting my car back on the road? It already has 110k mi on it, and yes, the timing belt blew at 65 mph. (Dealer that I bought the car from stated the belt was changed at 65k mi.. guess not.)

Regardless. From what I have seen, I really only have 2 options, as I am not about to look for another car because it doesn't fit my budget. I can either replace the valves and the timing belt kit from ecstuning with the waterpump and all the goodies in their kit, or I can just throw a whole 'nother engine into the car.

The only questions I have in that matter would be if it were cash efficient. If I were to just replace the valves/belt kit etc.. I'm sure I'll be spending more on a blown turbo sometime in the near future as well as some other needed repairs.. But is there a place where I could buy the full engine, and not just a remanufactured head?

So basically, all I'm really asking is whether or not I should just toss the 2k into fixing my car and getting it back on the road with the replacement of the valves and timing belt and stuff, or looking into a more expensive solution now (replacement engine), but one that may save me money a little bit down the road. Are there a lot of expenses that I should expect with 110k mi on the car if I just get the valves fixed? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Default RE: Blown Engine

make sure the extant of the damage is contained to just the valves and ****... otherwise your going to be a whole nother world of trouble... im pretty sure you could find another 1.8T block and internals for a pretty good price and it would be a hell of alot more reliable

Old 06-15-2006, 10:34 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Blown Engine

Try Dads auto or Shoksan. lLinks are in the useful links section for used engines. You are probably better off just doing the heads, assuming that you took care of the car before this incident.