Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical gremlins....not the cool little green ones, either.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:25 AM
1st Gear
Default electrical gremlins....not the cool little green ones, either.

I've noticed that after getting the timing belt done, my trip odometer will reset randomly.

Also, while driving home tonight i made a left hand turn into my neighborhood, the instrument cluster lights went out(headlights still on), and when it came back on the gas light was on and the seatbelt light illuminated for about 3 seconds, also, the trip odometer was reset once again. I have also noticed my fuel guage being relatively erradic, i'm sure it has something to do with the car sitting for a month.I should note that the gas light probably has good reason to be on, as i know i am low on fuel.

Any ideas on any of these? thanks in advance.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:59 AM
Default RE: electrical gremlins....not the cool little green ones, either.

its been sitting for a month could be the problem, fully charge the battery up or take it for a long run out ( 24hr trickle charge is best though ) and pls don't boost charge it that screws the battery up

Old 10-12-2007, 08:25 AM
1st Gear

i've run through about a 1/2 of tank of gas since i got the car back, that should be more than enough to recharge the battery, no?

Old 10-12-2007, 08:30 AM
5th Gear

u might have something called an erratic fuel guage lol. there's a diy on it on here. it's rly easy. maybe ur car is mad at u for not driving it for so long. did u ever go talk to it when it was sitting? that could be ur solution lol hopefully

Old 10-12-2007, 08:41 AM
1st Gear

don't have any suggestions, but let me know re:the fuel guage. for my car, i understand it sat for a couple months before i bought it (similarity) and since the second time i went below 1/4 tank, my fuel guage is erratic. below 1/2 tank, it misreads enough to not be sure other than sorta by the odometer where the tank is. 1) it misreads the amt left in the tank. it'll read 3/8. next start E. next start 1/4. next start 3/8. 2) the warning light will come on a)when it reads low enough to be accurate, b)sporadically anywhere else under 1/2 tank. i just keep the tank full. don't wanna be pulling out the fuel pump.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:57 AM
5th Gear

u don't have to pull the pump at all. the lvl sender unit is attached to it. just make sure u run low no fuel b4 u do it unless u like to keep ur hand in the tank looking for the daym thing for like 1/2 hour. been there done that. but once u find it it all becomes clear and ur like wtf took me so long lol

Old 10-12-2007, 06:12 PM
4th Gear

Sounds like a loose ground connection at the instrument cluster.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:21 AM
1st Gear

a loose ground is what i was thinking as well, trouble is i have no idea where to begin looking. you would think that the instrument cluster would be grounded somewhere to the firewall, but who knows with these crazy germans, it could be attached to the rear bumper mounts. So far so good as it hasn't done it in 2+ days and i know have roughly 120 miles on the trip odo without it resetting. I really wouldn't care except i like to track my fuel mileage and having to record the odometer is a PIA.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

Also, the erradic fuel guage has stopped, i figured it was just from it sitting. I'm sure it is a problem i will have to deal with eventually, but for now when thigns fix themself i am not going to complain.