Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox or Transmission Issues on 2009 3.2 A4 Already??? :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 AM
1st Gear
Question Gearbox or Transmission Issues on 2009 3.2 A4 Already??? :(

Hello Audi Forums,

I've been searching the forums now and I can't seem to find this post anywhere.

My problem is intermittent, but I am afraid unless remedied quickly will turn out to be severe. The issue seems to be with the changing of gears:

As I merge into traffic at approx 45km/hr and then apply alot of gas (I live in the middle east, and no one lets you merge, so you have to accelerate to 140kms/hr quickly), the shifting from S2 (Dynamic mode, transmission selection) into 3rd does not happen.

What occurs is a complete loss of power and immediate drop in RPMs, although the transmission stays in S2 gear. It feels like the car wants to go into limp mode. At the same time, there is a ticking noise from under neath the dashboard, and if the accelerator is held down, the car returns to high RPMs slowly and then shifts gears.

There is no warning light from the display, and it doesn't happen all of the time, today was the 3rd time it has happened since i have owned the car (April 2009)

Here are the specs of the car:
2009 3.2 Full Option
Trip-tronic Transmission (Semi-automatic)
Audi Drive Select System
64,500km on the odometer
Purchased from the Dealership at 11,000kms (It was a show car..sitting on golf courses and at events etc.)
3 months left on the unlimited warranty to which I have purchased the extended warranty in June (expires January 2013)

After this I will sell the car, however, I don't want to be caught fighting Audi warranty if there is a major issue that can be solved quickly upon first instance.

The reason I ask, is that the service quality here at Audi is very poor. I have had a couple of smaller issues with brake calipers, engine mounting were broken, and noises coming from the suspension (120+degrees fh) in the summer is bad for rubber. I have had to pull teeth with these guys to get them to believe me that there is an issue/noise coming from the car.

This time I would like to be well prepared with potential causes on the above model before I go and meet the monkeys.

Your advice on probable issues is much appreciated!

Thank you