Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:10 AM
1st Gear
Default 2.7 question

I recently got my parents 01 2.7t a6:
I'm new to Audis and have a few questions,

What's the best upgraded available? I noticed that the car isn't as fast as it was when we got it (2yrs/70K miles ago) the car has 149xxx miles and so far we've replaced cv axles, spark plugs alternator and I think the fuel pump is going out since it says that I'm out of gas BUT I know I have gas since I just put in 10$ worth and drove 40 miles

Anyways, i read the "upgrade guide" but i think it's kinda outdated maybe I'm wrong.

1)Can I just get a filter from eBay with adaptor and use it as an intake?

2)how much boost does this car produce? How do I know if turbo needs replacement?

3)And if I get a boos control from eBay, what's the safest psi I can set I to without damaging the engine or othe parts?

4) what's a good cheap exhaust?

I'm a freshman in college and in a budget...is the apr software upgrade worth the 599 and how does it exactly work?

I'm use to a 95 Celica and upgrades are miles apart so need ur help?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by malhar
I recently got my parents 01 2.7t a6:
I'm new to Audis and have a few questions,

What's the best upgraded available? I noticed that the car isn't as fast as it was when we got it (2yrs/70K miles ago) the car has 149xxx miles and so far we've replaced cv axles, spark plugs alternator and I think the fuel pump is going out since it says that I'm out of gas BUT I know I have gas since I just put in 10$ worth and drove 40 miles

Anyways, i read the "upgrade guide" but i think it's kinda outdated maybe I'm wrong.

1)Can I just get a filter from eBay with adaptor and use it as an intake?

2)how much boost does this car produce? How do I know if turbo needs replacement?

3)And if I get a boos control from eBay, what's the safest psi I can set I to without damaging the engine or othe parts?

4) what's a good cheap exhaust?

I'm a freshman in college and in a budget...is the apr software upgrade worth the 599 and how does it exactly work?

I'm use to a 95 Celica and upgrades are miles apart so need ur help?

To be honest if i had 150k on the car the last thing i would think about is chipping. unless you are absolutely sure you are willing to purchase new turbos once they fail. otherwise let the car run stock.

when your turbos give they will emit a siren (youtube it)
they will consume ALL of your oil in matter of minutes.

if you want a mod that will extend the life of your turbos and provide reasonable power look into getting downpipes.

also for an intake the factory one is good enough but there is one called S-FLO made for the 2.7. claims to add 11-12 crank hp.

the apr software will tweak the cars computer example (tune the turbos boost higher than normal (9psi))

Old 12-24-2011, 04:07 PM
3rd Gear

Mr college-student on a limited budget, I suggest you put your scarce funds into making sure all the preventive maintenance is up to date. Suggest changing fluids in differential and transfer case as well as brake fluid (bf should be done every 2 years). Save up for your next timing belt ($1000-1500) at 160-180k. Forget chipping or software. Your car will never be fast (quick) off the line due to weight and quattro, and if you hammer it you will just destroy the tip tranny or clutch. As for fast, it will still hit 133 at the governor. That's enough to get you a sizeable ticket. With your budget, forget trying to make it a tuner car and concentrate on keeping it alive until you get your degree. Enjoy it as a powerful, solid, safe sports-touring car.

PS-Re downpipes, I am in process of having them installed because my cats failed. Including O2 sensors and labor, I expect to pay $2200-2400 for a Billy Boat kit.

Last edited by ppgoal; 12-24-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:22 PM
3rd Gear

$10 of gas is about 2.5 gallons. It will barely get you 40 miles. Your car's MPG figure is around 16 to 18.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

okay so chipping the car is out of the question, but i do want a little "umph" when im driving, like when i floor it i want to go!
like it use to, what about intake and exhaust? under 500ish for both possible? what size exhaust pipes good? 2.5" or 3"?

the fuel sender unit i think is going out, checked online it said under recal, but called up audi they said no, whats up with that?

Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM
3rd Gear

Fill up the tank in full and see if the gauge reads full. If it does, then there is nothing wrong with it. I don't know of any fuel sender recall.

For $500, it won't get you much. Chip may be the best bang for the bucks. That is assuming that your car is in good running shape.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

the thing is, the fuel thing is trippin' me out b/c a few weeks ago:
in the morning, the fuel light was on and estimated "0 miles", i put in 10$ worth, said estimated "45miles"
then abt 23 miles later, said "15 miles estimated" i then put 20$ worth. then it read "60 mi."

45miles after the light when on (reserve yellow fuel light) again, and then i put in 30ish$ worth, and it filled up. (gas station pump stopped like it does in a fill up.) the fuel read between 1/2 and 3/4 and estimated "280 miles"

then driving back home the fuel needle started to go up and by the time i got home it read full on needle and "425 miles"

ever since i ussually go by the number of miles the car ran rather than trusting the needle/ range.

so could it be fuel sender unit being stuck somewhere due to lack of lubrication. i heard running the car on low gas caused the fuel pump to go bad.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear

I doubt there is anything wrong with your gauge, but the computer algorithms for calculating "miles to empty" are imprecise. First, instead of dripping gas into the tank, spend the $50-60 to fill it completely (if you cannot afford to do this, then don't bug us for advice about upgrades). Top it off by a few tenths and the needle should rest on the "F". Your miles to empty will calculate based on the average mpg at which you have been driving. In other words, if you have been driving around town it will calculate it at ~18 mpg and if you have been traveling on the highway it might calculate at ~22 mpg. Regardless, it will estimate your miles to empty based on the amount of gas it thinks is in the tank. What you get depends on how you drive, tire pressure, and condition of your tune. After you run down the tank, fill it again and then calculate your actual mpg as miles driven/gallons. You have a trip meter which is reset by the button under the turn signal. My A6 is pretty consistent at 18 mpg around town and 22-24 mpg on the highway, depending on how fast I drive and how many times I speed up to pass slower cars. Sometimes my needle will not go all the way to full but it gradually rises within a few miles as I drive. No idea why. Just chalk it up to being an OOOO.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Administrator

The only way the upgrade guide might be outdated is with respect to emerging turbo technology that isn't listed. Don't upgrade your car. Your funds are scarce, just leave it alone. The 2.7 is the biggest maintenance ***** of an engine Audi has put out in recent memory. You'd be far better served by using money you want to use to mod the car, and get a good set of tools for fixing the car yourself. It WILL break, and probably regularly at that mileage and with your intent to mod it for power.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:46 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

^^^^^
STOP CALLING MY ENGINE A *****!! She keeps telling me she will be leaving her mean German husband soon. She just needs a little bit more time...and a few thousand more dollars to take care of some "things"....but then she will be leaving him FOREVER and the two of us can be very happy together....