Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 Belly Pan

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 AM
3rd Gear

Fact - The mechanic I use for big jobs says that the belly pan is a PITA but it is important because it allows the air to flow thru the radiator and across the motor and helps keep the motor clean.

When the pan is mounted correctly it will stop some pretty heavy stuff from getting into the engine compartment. The thin plastic is actually pretty tough. It will deflect rocks, and other hard stuff from doing damage to the bottom of the motor and protect sensors from road hazzards.

It actually has a venturi affect at the trailing edge that enhances air flow through the engine compartment and lessens the air pressure (drag) at the firewall. It also lessens the turbulance under the vehicle at high speeds and makes it more stable.

These are facts- not opinion about a small amout of air or thin plastic.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:34 AM
2nd Gear

If your up north it would also help keep some of the slush and salt from being thrown up there. They are pretty low to the ground. I think the rear piece is optional because niether of my cars have them or any signs they were ever there. It looks solid anyway and would probably cover the trany pan. If I was getting a leak from my trany I would ant it on the driveway so I would se it ASAP. I would just do the front belly pan.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:05 PM
3rd Gear

LOL A belly pan is like bed pan for an AUDI!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 PM
3rd Gear

I stand corrected. The forum info is always helpful. And my bedpan....I mean bellypan....is still installed.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 PM
2nd Gear

LOL, bedpan True though.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 AM

HAHA wow.

Update. i love my insurance company. as luck would have it, i was behind a truck yesterday on the way home from work, and it blew out a tire. With nowhere to go, i had to hit the tire. 65mph... 30 pounds of rubber... coolness.

neways. new bumper, impact cylinders, BOTH lower skid plates, and a wheel alignment (which i needed already)...

all payed for by the trucking company. $1854.

SCORE. free bed pan ;-)

Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Default Pan

The pan is there for cooling the radiator and for pulling air out of the intercooler's by causing a negative pressure point under the car, "hense the NACA ducts" it is an aero thing not a keep the engine clean thing.

YES YOU DO NEED THIS PART, if you want the car to cool the radiator and keep the intercoolers from heat soaking while driving.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
4th Gear

It actually has a venturi affect at the trailing edge that enhances air flow through the engine compartment and lessens the air pressure (drag) at the firewall. It also lessens the turbulance under the vehicle at high speeds and makes it more stable.

These are facts- not opinion about a small amout of air or thin plastic.
Agree..

The pan is there for cooling the radiator and for pulling air out of the intercooler's by causing a negative pressure point under the car, "hense the NACA ducts" it is an aero thing not a keep the engine clean thing.

YES YOU DO NEED THIS PART, if you want the car to cool the radiator and keep the intercoolers from heat soaking while driving.
Absolutely Agree.. and something I had an debate with someone here before... Glad someone actually knows what a 'NACA Duct' is