Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Audi A6 Quattro Alternator 'mystery'

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:24 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation 99 Audi A6 Quattro Alternator 'mystery'

hey/ hoping someone out there can shed some light on this issue.

Driving my 99 Audi A6 Quattro 4 mnths ago- battery light intermittently comes on/ off. I figure it must be a loose connection. UNTIL- the car dies as I'm barely able to maneuver it off the road. Charged the battery, drove the car to the Mechanics garage (with a friend following me/ hazards on, etc). Car isn't holding the charge/ we tried a fully charged different battery-
won't hold the charge.
Because I am on a low budget/ I got a Rebuilt Alternator. Came in the mail/ took it to Advance and the Employee said "nah- it's no good"...but he was fumbling around trying to ground it- and the machine was reading numbers/ pausing, etc. I figure "let me leave the Alternator in the front seat of the Audi, if my Mechanic tests it out ok/ I'll save myself the headache of returning that one and buying a new one" I wasn't expecting any 'good' news. I honestly expected to just return it and pay for a used Alternator through the Mechanic.
Mechanic calls me "good news, it works". I see on the Repair receipt- it charged at 14.5.
Flash forward/ 2 days ago. Battery light again.
Related?- CEL P0442, this light has been on since Ive had the car (4 years). A mechanic told me its a one-way valve, emissions tubing that comes from the bottom of the car- when it's stuck, this code comes up. Since its a factory part/ I didn't invest in fixing it.
Is it possible this Alternator is gone already (4 months)? My thought is that something might be shorting the system out...I'm at wits end with this car/ pls help!!!!
What can I do now? Should the Mechanic (he's a friend) install another one with discounted charge, if he put in a questionable one at first (re: the failed Advance Auto test)? Or should I be looking at something entirely different.
(At one point- the car was pulling both P0442 and P1338)
thank you thank you!!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Anything is possible on a reman alternator. In my A4, a reman lasted 3 months and died. I'm putting another one in now - hopefully that one will last.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

ok, 2 codes pulled up:
p0411 (I assume this is the exhaust leak/lousy rusty parts of exhaust)
P1600 - this is a new code- this is "power supply B+ terminal 15 lo" what is terminal 15?
I did some research and it has been noted that it could be a bad battery cable?