Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Ignition coils replacement / vibration

Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 Ignition coils replacement / vibration

Hi Guys
this is the second time in a month that my A6 (03) suddenly started shaking. Last time it did that I took it to dealer and he had to replace 2 ignition coils. The car is over 80K now. anyway, I am looking for an advice if I should be taking car back to the dealer/ mechanic or replace the coil by myself (if its easy).
The other thing is, I am not sure if its the same coil issue. any suggestions. thanks

help roop

Old 03-30-2009, 06:28 AM
2nd Gear

Get a VAG-COM and read the codes (or take it to AutoZone and have them do it). If you get a mis-fire, then you might want to try replacing the coil yourself (do the plugs while you are at it if they haven't been done recently).

Bob

Old 03-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Site Moderator

It also depends on the engine, replacing coils on a 2.7T is much harder than it is on a 2.8L or 3.0L.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

roop,

You COULD go to Harbor Freight, Chinese tool vendor, and buy their midgrade code reader. Mine tells me which cyl is misfiring, and lots more, more than my mech's 2500 Snap-On will, because they have to buy a 500 buck module to read VAG codes.

Mine told me that #1 is misfiring. Other things, too, which theirs doesn't.

AT79,

Clarify that for me. My 97 2.8 has a 6 pack on the platform over the PS pump. Pic someone who was going to buy me coils for cheap posted a pic that might have been a 2.7 and had 3 packs on each bank.

I was under the impression that I could change out just one double coil at a time. My mech says, and it looks to me, that the coils are inseparable. 3 wires from each bank in the plugs connect to the separate coils, and can't be disconnected from those coils.

Do you have to detach the wires for each coil from the plugs to replace one double coil, or do you have to replace all 3 as a unit?

I still have a miss that I would love to get rid of. Hell, I don't even know if it IS the coil causing my miss. Just like to eliminate that before I go to more expensive repairs.

Cheers,

George

Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Site Moderator

The 2.7T has 6 individual coils, the 2.8L has 3 coils where one coil fires two cylinders.
I believe you can replace a single coil, but i have only replaced one on a 12V. Looking up parts online i can't seem to find a single coil that you can buy so its possible you would need to buy the whole shabang.
As for the misfire, i would replace the spark plugs before replacing the coils. You can't perform the old switch a roo with the coils on a 2.8L to test them.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

AT79,

Mine is a 12V. Plugs, I should replace them. My mech says I should replace the wires, and they go from 85 bucks up. And what I have is a full coil pack. 3 duals on the base.

Guys are busy, they treat me well, I hate to bother them. Gotta do it quick, before I burn out a cat or an O2 sensor. Mebbe tomorrow.

Innyhoo, heavy car, STILL gets just a skosh over 20 MPG. And, man, none of my Audis has ever dissappointed me from a performance standpoint.

I've never driven anything that is rated higher, but have driven some cars that I consider much lower in quality. I like this car, as I did the last 7 of them that I have had.

Cheers,

George