Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone heard of camshaft sensor problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:09 AM
1st Gear
Default anyone heard of camshaft sensor problems?

hey guys,

earlier i posted an entry abouta cam being off but i didn't know as much as i know now so let me rephrase. i took my car to a transmission guy because my reverse wasn't catching (which is a seperate issue entirely) but he also checked a code for me for a check engine light that came on after i got my water pump and timing belt done by someone other than audi but who works on audi's regularly. anyway, when the transmission guy pulled the code he said it was a cam sensor and that it was probably on because the computer hasn't relearned the timing or something like that. i didn't understand fully but what i'm wondering is; does the computer relearn automatically or is this something i shoud take back to the guy who did my timing belt and say "hey i don't know if you work affected this but fix it" (not in those words, of course) or take it straight to audi? i don't know how big of a problem it could be. can someone help?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:23 AM
Default RE: anyone heard of camshaft sensor problems?

That is why taking a Audi to a shop with non Audi tools is risky. You need to say which year, which engine, as they are not all the same. When doing a timing belt, a special pin is placed in the crankshaft position sensor hole with the engine at TDC. A tool is placed between the camshafts to align them. The toothed pulleys are pulled loose from the tappered camshaft ends.If you disconnect the cam position sensor the engine will not run. You could have a wiring problem. You need to get the Audi shop manual and VAG-COM.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:20 AM
1st Gear

I just went through a huge CEL Cam Shaft error code issue myself (check my posting history)... I don't agree with taking it to Audi. They told me I needed new cam adjusters to fix the CEL and it was actually a timing belt tensioner that I needed ($3000 saving over Audi dealership who gave me incorrect diagnosis). I wouldcall around to another independant shop that specializes in Audi. I found a great onehere in Houston that a poster recommended. Maybe ask posters that live near you for recommendations. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

the car is a 2000 a6 4.2. given that the guy i went to did the timing belt, i'm more inclined to agree with the cam tensioner problem side of things; but, what do i know? the guy who fixed it seems very proficient when it comes to audi's, as if he used to work for them ( but i never asked) , so i don't know why he would make a mistake like this, if in fact it was his doing at all.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:29 PM
2nd Gear

whoever did the timing belt very well could have not locked the cams right as procedure calls.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

is that car lowered or is that a body kit? Looks good.