Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake sensor wire broken

Old 04-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Cool Brake sensor wire broken

left front brake pad sensor broke clean off with at the very end. Not enough wire to splice or mend. I can not find a replacement wire anywhere. Am I just missing how to look up the part from the wheel brake/hub to the brake controls on the abs/master cylinder?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:44 AM
3rd Gear

Are you talking about the pad sensor or ABS sensor?
They are different!

pad sensor - either get new pads or complete the circuit by twisting the wires together.

Abs Sensor - get a new sensor with the connector. If it is the wire get get a pigtail from a junkyard like Force Five in Concord NH.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:37 PM

thanks. The pad sensor I think. I got underneath and was able to one end off where the wire disconnected. Now you have me wondering. I get the brake failure light on not the abs failure light on the dash board warning. Now you have be wondering. Does the brake pad sensor remove or is it built into the caliper? I can't find a good schematic to know which wire is which. I like the idea of getting an old one that has enough wire to splice since mine is too short. Would have been better to a new wire unless it costs too much. I'll keep trying to find a diagram telling me which wire this really is called. Maybe I would know how to look at parts lists or what to ask at the junk yard.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 PM
3rd Gear

Ya don't need a diagram! Why wonder?

If you have (O) on the dash it's the pad thickness sensor. All it is is a wire in the pad that gets worn thru when the pad gets thin. If the wire is broken off - happens when some one dosen't put it out of harms way or it get caught on something - and the pads are OK just twist the ends together and the (O) signal will go off. You'll have to remember that the brake pad wear sensor on that side dose not work. BUT make sure the pads are not worn out .

If you must have the warning working you'll need to replace the pads. The wires are part of the pads.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:14 PM

fudge....it is the (O) symbol. Pads were just replace last fall but someone was in there one month ago working the abs module/control unit (which I found rebuilt for $80 !!!) about a week after that work the brake light came on. The garage says not their fault. I think when they went to bleed the brakes for replacing the abs, they let the caliper just hang or hooked it somehow. Looked the wire closer. It has a plug on one side that does into the caliper. So it is the pad sensor wire and it is good. Has a plug on both sides. What broke was the other half of the plug towards the brake controls. 'm too cheap to buy the entire wire set and still have a hard time find just the one wire I need. So back to your original solution; get a wire with the plug from a junk yard and splice. Thanks for the help.