Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake upgrade?

Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake upgrade?

Hello guys, i have a 2003 Audi A6 3.0 Quattroand i need new brakes. Now to my knowledge their stock and whatever (dont see any slots, drills or any aftermarket in the rotors) Now my question is, do you really see a significant change in stopping power when you upgrade to a slotted or drilled or whatever rotors and ceramic pads is ist? Also which is the best combination? Im asking for opinions, what would you do? Keep stock or what to put? Got a budget of$500 just keep that in mind [:'(]

Old 06-03-2007, 08:26 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Brake upgrade?

Hey teran...........As you can see I own a Jag as well as the A6.
One thing about the X type is the brakes are poor for sure. I haven't quite gotten round to replacing mine as yet, but most of the guys on the Jag forum have.
EBC offer grooved / dimpled rotors and probably have the same for the Audi I would think. Try matching them with EBC Redstuff pads for superior stopping power and greatly reduced brake dust as well from these street racing ceramic pads.

Jim C

Old 06-04-2007, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Jim C ! I will definatly look into those, I can get free shipping from one of their distributers sweet! Thanks again and thats a sweet looking Jag

Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 AM
3rd Gear

Teranenrique - Would you update your post with the brake options and prices if you make the change? I'm thinking about going for drilled or slotted rotors at some time in the future when the OEM rotors need to be replaced. Your experience would be helpful feedback.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

Hey ppgoal, I have been reading a little more about it and it seems when you have Slotted rotors, you get the best "bite" out of your pads, but they also wear out faster making it ideal for "track" use. I think im going to be going for Slotted because I dont mind buying pads more often if it means I will stop in a somewhat shorter distance (pads cheaper than accident) but the X factor is the tires because your car can only stop as fast as your tires can grip. As for the pads I think that I will be fine with the EBC Red Stuff (http://www.ebcbrakes.com/redstuffinfo.html) pads that Jim C recommended. I will take some pics and tell you guys what it feels like after I do the install. Its gonna take me a while tho because I have to order the parts and wait for shipping

Enrique

Old 06-05-2007, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear

I think the best bet would be to go with cross drilled rotors. Slotted rotors are for track and do wear more of the pad. They are designed to bite or cheesgrate the pad to keep wear even and always have fresh pad on the rotor. Heat is our worst enemies ladies and gents. My 4.2 weighs a ton, actually close to 2 tons, and I need new rotors and pads here soon. The cross drilled rotors dissipate heat much better saving you the cost of replacing expensive rotors all the time. A nice pair of ceramic pads will help reduce brake dust and they will wear much more evenly. There are many brands and manufacturers. StopTech is what I am budgeting for. With this combo I will stop faster, minimize brake wear/dust, and help reduce brake fade and warpage due to heat. The whole setup will cost me around a 800 bucks and I will do the work myself. It is very easy. The hardest part, well...the most important part, is bleeding the system properly and setting in (breaking in) your new set-up.