Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break warning light stays on, help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Break warning light stays on, help!

regarding: 2000 A6 2.7 Turbo

So about a month ago, I had one of my flex lines break while driving, and lost all of my break fluid while driving. The car was taken to the shop that the tow truck driver sold my dad on, even tho i didn't want it taken there and they replaced the busted flex line, and the line on the other side because they said it was dry and rotting... All of a sudden now my break light warning comes on the computer screen on my dash board, and it never goes off! that beep gets annoying after awhile. I thought my break pads were fine, but i took my car to belle tire anyway to have them look at the breaks, and they said the break pads were fine, and they dont know why that warning is on. its weird.... I even checked to make sure I had enough break fluid, and sure enough it was full.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this warning stays on? Maybe one of the sensors went bad? idk. Maybe that repair shop ended up nicking an electrical line somewhere and that causes my warning to be on all the time... after work today i am going to run by autozone borrow their obd scanner and clear all the codes, hopefully that will work, but not sure if that will do anything at all.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 05-29-2011, 01:30 AM
1st Gear
Default Same Problem down under

Hi I have an 2005 A6. Some time ago i returned it to the dealer as the ABS light kept coming on. They said no problem and fixed it. Now some months later the light is back. Their response this time is that the ABS pump is kaput and i need a new one. Of course this is now out of warranty and the quote was A$3,000 plus labour. The hand brake light also comes on as a failure.

So i tested them.
Hand brake is fine and the ABS also seem fine.
So I assume it is a sensor. Very annoying and my other service person can not fix it.

Any one out there who can help?

Old 05-29-2011, 08:37 AM
2nd Gear

Search on ABS control modules. They are known to go bad. There is a low cost place to send them to get them rebuilt.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

This is the problem that inspired my research and venture into DIY repair. These ABS pumps fail like crazy on the C5 platform. If you do some research you will find a great deal of information on ABS pump removal and entities that will rebuild your break module. I suggest going the rebuild route as you will obtain have a much more effective module than an OEM/Bosch stock replacement. The outfit I used gave a substantially longer warranty on the rebuilt unit than the warranty offered through a new Bosch unit.

I was out $150 bucks for a shop to connect a computer and was quoted around $3k for removal/replacement. $250 bucks for the rebuild and a day's worth of work correct my brake warning light issue.

If you need further guidance or would like to know who rebuilt my module private message me and I will supply the information. Not sure I can post links to repair outfits per board rules.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by forknif
regarding: 2000 A6 2.7 Turbo

So about a month ago, I had one of my flex lines break while driving, and lost all of my break fluid while driving. The car was taken to the shop that the tow truck driver sold my dad on, even tho i didn't want it taken there and they replaced the busted flex line, and the line on the other side because they said it was dry and rotting... All of a sudden now my break light warning comes on the computer screen on my dash board, and it never goes off! that beep gets annoying after awhile. I thought my break pads were fine, but i took my car to belle tire anyway to have them look at the breaks, and they said the break pads were fine, and they dont know why that warning is on. its weird.... I even checked to make sure I had enough break fluid, and sure enough it was full.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this warning stays on? Maybe one of the sensors went bad? idk. Maybe that repair shop ended up nicking an electrical line somewhere and that causes my warning to be on all the time... after work today i am going to run by autozone borrow their obd scanner and clear all the codes, hopefully that will work, but not sure if that will do anything at all.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

First of all, it is "BRAKE" not "BREAK"

Are you getting the word "BRAKE" lit up in the dash, or are you getting the (O) symbol?

The word BRAKE can be caused by a few things, one of them being low brake fluid. Check that, since it sounds like you had an issue with the lines, and maybe the shop did not fill the fluid back to the proper levels.

If you are getting the (O) symbol, that is the low pad warning. The sensors for this warning are built into the inner front pads only which are hard to inspect visually without getting under the car. It is basically a wire built into the pad, and when the pad gets low engouh, the wire also gets worn down enough to break the circuit and trigger the warning light. There is no code to scan for this or clear. It can only be cleared by either replacing the pads or "jumping" the circuit (which is a common thing done by folks that use pads that do not have the wear sensor built into it).

Hope this helps!

Old 06-03-2011, 09:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Boston Driver
First of all, it is "BRAKE" not "BREAK"

Are you getting the word "BRAKE" lit up in the dash, or are you getting the (O) symbol?

The word BRAKE can be caused by a few things, one of them being low brake fluid. Check that, since it sounds like you had an issue with the lines, and maybe the shop did not fill the fluid back to the proper levels.

If you are getting the (O) symbol, that is the low pad warning. The sensors for this warning are built into the inner front pads only which are hard to inspect visually without getting under the car. It is basically a wire built into the pad, and when the pad gets low engouh, the wire also gets worn down enough to break the circuit and trigger the warning light. There is no code to scan for this or clear. It can only be cleared by either replacing the pads or "jumping" the circuit (which is a common thing done by folks that use pads that do not have the wear sensor built into it).

Hope this helps!
lol ya, I ment Brake. ha, and i am getting that (o) symbol.... the pads are good...... what do you mean by jumping the circuit? and how do u do this? sounds like I could turn that dam beeping off if i did this?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2011, 10:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by forknif
lol ya, I ment Brake. ha, and i am getting that (o) symbol.... the pads are good...... what do you mean by jumping the circuit? and how do u do this? sounds like I could turn that dam beeping off if i did this?

Thanks
Pads are good, including the INNER pads in front? If so, are they OEM pads or aftermarket? Do the pads have the wear sensor wire? Sometimes, the wear sensor wire inside the pad is defective. I've seen that happen...not frequently, but it can happen.

You can jump the sensor wire easily. If the pads you have include the sensor wire (but the sensor wire is defective), cut the wire at the pad, leaving enough wire to work with. Then strip the insulation on the ends, and twist/crimp the wires together, and plugh back into the connector at the caliper. Voila! The circuit is now "jumped."

If you do not have a sensor wire, you can see if a local indy shop (VW or Audi) can grab used pads for you so you can do this. I think the A6 has the square/round connector (shaped like a wide "D"). ou could also just crimp two ends of a wire and find a way to stick them into the connector to bridge the circuit.

Only disadvantage of doing this is that you lose the wear sensor, and the inner pads do wear faster than the outer pads. Just keep an eye on them.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

Take it back to that shop. I believe there's a disc wear sensor on the front brakes. It wasn't installed properly.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

Check the sensor line, they break all the time because of the poor design. If that doesn't work, cover the display w/electrical tape. The alternative, don't look at the display. These cars are full of little crap *** issues like this. They fully deserve their POOR reputation . Even an ugly American could figure out that allowing the line to hang that low would present future problems.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Break warning light stays on, help!

According to me Brake Warning Light Stays On ... I changed the ground strap on the transmission. You might try that, its cheap and helps on other areas anyway.