Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 1995 S6

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Buying a 1995 S6

Well heres the story. I love Audis. I was going to buy a TT but decided i needed something bigger so i came across this 1995 S6. It has the 2.2t 20 valve engine and has 101,000 miles. He's selling it for $6,990. (KBB is $7,020)

The person at the dealer who is selling it said it's a one owner car and does not know if the timing belt was changed or not. From what i been reading they usually break around 100,000 and are recommended to be changed at like 70,000- 80,000. (might be wrong... no clue)

The car is real clean. interior is spotless but i didnt get to test the electronics yet. The engine pulled hard and the clutch felt great too. plus there weren't any leaks or anything either. When i was sitting in the car i couldnt tell if it was running or not... the engine was that quiet. (must be good haha)

The more and more i read about these cars the more i fell in love with it and the 2.2t engine and would love to own it. I read all good things about the cars and not alot of bad things. The questions i have are...

1. Is there any way that i can tell if the T-belt was changed.
2. How is this car as a daily driver especially since it's a 1995. (i know electronics can be troublesome sometimes)
3. Any known problems with these cars over 100,000 miles besides the normal stuff.
4. And finally where can i get good parts (both performance and replacement parts) i keep looking and cant find anywhere.

Any more info would be great

Thank you

Chris

Old 10-05-2011, 03:17 PM
3rd Gear

Is it an Avant by any chance? If it is, then you are making a terrible, horrible choice. It is really a garbage and you should walk away.

BTW, let me know where it is...

Just messing with you. To be honest, I have been looking of a S6 Avant for the longest time. There were a couple of real chances, but they got away. With that said, what I can tell about these are that they are built bullet proof. Not to mention that there are east to look for part as well as a large support groups... If well taken care of, then you shouldn't have any issues keeping it running for another 100K.

With that said, my 2 cents to your questions...

1. When in doubt, just change the belt and stuff. There is no way of telling, unless you see a sticker or something.
2. From what I know, works perfect as a daily driven q-ship.
3. No known issues other than the normal stuff. Reliability on C4 S6 is better than C5s as far as I hear about.
4. Engine/performance components are pretty much everywhere. You have have a bit of issue with body/interior parts. Check this forum.

quattroworld.com Forums: UrS4/UrS6/S2/RS2

Seriously, if it is an avant and you decide to not get it, then let me know.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

its not an avant.... sadly but still its a real clean sedan and i think itll make a great daily driver. thanks for the info goodluck with the search

Old 10-05-2011, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CBR51
its not an avant.... sadly but still its a real clean sedan and i think itll make a great daily driver. thanks for the info goodluck with the search

Usually, not always, its safe to assume that if someone "doesn't know if the belt has been changed"....then it hasn't. At least in my limited Audi experience.

Post some pics if you get it.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

yeah im just going to act like it wasnt changed. maybe i can get the price down a little bit. and ill post alot of pics if i get it. Im looking at it again this weekend and if everything goes good itll be mine by next week. Thanks for the info. If theres anymore let me know the more the better haha