Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used A6 2.7T......please educate me!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Buying a used A6 2.7T......please educate me!

Good Morning, all:

I'm in the happy position to be purchaing my first Audi. (I've been aVolvodriver for 15+ years, but now that Ford owns Volvo....well, let's just say they lost a customer). It's either going to be a 2000-2003 A4 2.8 or an A6 2.7T.I realize that they're very different cars, but I like them both for different reasons (that being said, I am strongly leaning toward an A6, being that it's more in-line with the size of the Volvo's I've owned. And, of course, more powerful).

Because I'm not all that familiar with them (and what to watch out for), I'm looking for any guidance that you all can give me as to what things I'd want to ask about/look/watch out forfor when looking at an A6. Particular maintenance issues, years to avoid, things that should have been replaced, etc. The cars that I'm looking at have between 60k and 80k miles.....what kind of maintenance issues would have I have coming in the near future (besides things like timing belts and normal consumables)? I've always wrenched onnaturally aspirated cars, so the prospect of purchasing a twin-turbo is exciting, butdauntingbecause I don't know whatto watch out for. I will be purchasing a stick-shift; anything in particular to watch out for (other than the obvious things of a slipping clutch and such).

I'm very much looking forward to hearing your replies, and, well.......looking forward to owning an Audi!

-Chris

Old 02-07-2007, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Buying a used A6 2.7T......please educate me!

Here's a few few suggestions for you...

Follow the link in my signature to my registry page. There, you'll find some sugested reading you may want to review. In particular, check out "Stoney's Links" -- it's the ultimate A6 links page.

Next, do some searching and read the pages in the A6 forum here and on www.audiworld.com. Your question has been asked and answered dozens (maybe hundreds) of times. As such, you'll get MUCH more info by doing a little digging than you'll ever get by posting a question people have seen many times before.

You'll love the 2.7T if you decide to go that route. My suggestion would be to get the lowest mileage you can -- that way you're eliminating the unknown variable of how well/poorly the previous owner took care of it. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

Hey SouthBoro:

Many thanks for where to start searching. I figured the topic had been beat to death at least a little bit, but your pointing me in the right direction saved me a whole lotta searching.

Merci!
-Chris

Old 02-07-2007, 04:06 PM
2nd Gear

i have the 2.7T, and i love it! i test drove the other models, except the 4.2 and im happy with my choice. the a4 is better on gas, but the 2.7 has more power and tuning options if you take the route. so drive around in both on the same day, see what one you like more by feel. this is how i picked out my car. hope that helps ya out

Old 02-07-2007, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2000 2.7t...make sure u drive it on the highway up to 80mph and pay attention how the car runs make sure itdoesnt vibrate...i found out the hard way after spending over $1000 inrepairs and they keep saying its this, its that bla bla blaand nothing has fixedmyvibrations yet...i keep reading about it alot on here so its a pretty common problem for audis...also make sure thevalve cover gaskets are not leaking also avery common problem for theA6s...i made a mistake and didnt check the breaks so i would do that..make sure they are decent...so u dont have to go out and spend 400 dollars on new rotors and pads...