Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did Search - Window and Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Did Search - Window and Suspension Question

Hey guys. I just bought a 2001 A6 2.7T last night with 88k miles on it. I test drove the car, got under it. Under the hood. and checked everything I could. Low and behold, I found three things wrong on my way home. I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

1 - As I was gassing up, my girlfriend let her window down to chat with me. When leaving she was like "The window won't go all the way up." Crap!! It goes down just fine. It comes up about half way then stops. I let it down, fine. On the way up, 1/4 way then stops. So I figured it's probably the motor. I grabbed the window as she held the up button, and with some back and forth tugging it came up. My first guess was the motor. After reading a few posts here, it may be the guides. What do you think?

2 - When going over speed bumpsorimperfections in the road that lift the front end a little, I hear a "boing". That's the best way I can describe it. Something I didn't hear during the test drive (figures). Sounds like something metal snapping back into place....or out of place. Its not terribly loud, just noticeable. My thoughts were control arms, tie rods, sway barsor hopefully the easy one, bushings (I pray).

3 - While on the expressway, I normally average around 80. So once I hit 80ish, I start hearing this slow,low tone, in and out, "hummm". I really have no clue as to what to think that is. So all thoughts are welcomed. CV joints maybe?

4 - I decided to get up to around 100 to stretch her out a little. I started getting this small vibration. At 100 probably anything will vibrate a little. But I expected more from German engineering. I'm going to check the air pressure in the tires today to see if they are a little low. I was wondering if it may have anything to do with the "hummm" as that seems to be related to the in the front end also.

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping my first dive into German cars isn't an unpleasant one. I plan on purchasing an extended service plan. Somehow I think it will be well worth it.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:29 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Did Search - Window and Suspension Question

Anyone?

Old 08-05-2007, 06:18 AM
1st Gear

1) Window. You don't want to mess too much with it. To have a better idea, you would want to remove the door panel and have a look at what is going on. I suspect it is more the guides and wires as you already mentioned. Oh, keep a wooden stick handy. When you dismantle everything and if you remove the guides and motor, you don't want your window open. Putting a stick cut to size and then tied into place will keep your window closed and thieves out.

2) Can't help here, but seems you are on the right path to start investigating.

3) Is the road flat when the noise comes? Are you on cruise control? Might just be a feature of the turbos. I don't have a turboed Audi, so don't know.

4) Have you checked the wheel alighnments and tyre balancing? Does it get less when you go beyond 100? If it does, I would be more inclined to re-check the tyre balancing, check the tyre shape (not deformed, un-evenly worn). Most auto places will do a free wheel alignment check.

All the best. Let us know what the problems were when you resolve them.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

katcoota - Thanks

1) Will open it up and spray this weekend to see if that works
2) Still no clue. That's going to have to go to shop.
3) Yes the road is flat. Haven't turned on the cruise control yet. I've never had a turbo either but somehow I don't think that's it.
4) I haven't done anything yet. Balancing and alignment sounds like a safe bet. However, I think if I get 2 and 3 solved, 4 just might go away.

I'll keep you posted. Anyone with any more suggestions are welcomed as I am a new owner of this seemingly exceptional vehicle.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:32 PM
3rd Gear

Your guides are bad, I just replaced mine yesterday. Here is the writeup I followed : http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int45.shtml

Jeff

Old 08-09-2007, 03:27 AM
1st Gear

I have the same problem, with the window behind the passenger, dang its my fault for not checkin all the windows.