Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension, General

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Default Front Suspension, General

Ok, Tonight I was driving on the Highway and I was noticing that when I would break the right front wheel would shake heavily untill I slowed to 40. When I was driving at 70mph there was also a significant shake in the wheel and my seat. Then when I exited the highway I found that when I stoped, as the car slowed there would be a noicable clicking noise (like a door latching) when I stopped from the Left front suspension.

I have been doing research and I am almost certin that I need to replace tie rods, control arms, but this worries me because I just had it done about a year and a half ago. If anyone can give me any ideas as to why or how to fix (and make sure its fixed) this problem. I really don't feel like spending $1000 again for the same thing.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Front Suspension, General

The vibration is coming from your wheels, most likely the balance.

If you just installed aftermarket wheels recentley, its because they didn't install the centering rings with the wheels.

The clicking could be a side affect of not having the rings, or a CV boot that has torn and thrown all the grease out of the joint.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:35 PM

I havn't changed the wheels, but these problems have been occuring from about the time I got the tires changed, could it be possible that they didn't put the rings on then. Also is it expensive to change a CV boot. thanks for thehelpAuditech.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Site Moderator

If it happened when they changed the tires then the dumb *** that put them on didn't balance the tires correctly, you won't need centering rings on stock wheels.

Look under the car at the front CV boots by the wheel, if you see grease all over the place the boot is torn and has to be replaced. A shop will generally charge about 2.5 hours to change the boot. You can save some money and buy the boot repair kit from www.ecstuning.com instead of paying $80 from the dealer for the same repair kit.