Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my car back (broke tb) - have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:42 PM
1st Gear
Question Got my car back (broke tb) - have some questions

After my timing belt breaking a few weeks ago I finally got the car back. It's a '98 A6 Q with 191k - we ended up putting a 93k motor into my car that came out of a '01 Passat. Also did some other work to the car that needed done as well and now I have a couple of questions.

#1 - Creaking/moaning sound while sitting still or moving very slowly and turning the wheel. I have no idea what this could be.

#2 - Front suspension (sounds like pass side) is making a creaking noise at low speeds - especially going over bumps. For example when I slow for a speed bump it makes the creaking noise coming back down from the speed bump. Does anyone know what could cause this or what I've missed?

While the car was apart we did new tb/wp/tensioners/rollers/etc, new rotors/pads, new driver side outer cv, and driver side upper control arms. Suspension on the pass side looks ok and nothing needed replaced (yet).

Thanks!

Last edited by whitey; 04-06-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 PM
3rd Gear

Your a brave person to change the motor in a 98 with 191K. There is a buch of things taht could go wrong!

The creeking/moaning is probably due to hard bushings or maybe worn out... try a little lube on them (like lithium grease) to see if the noise goes away.

Please give us information about your motor change - What you learned and what it cost. There are a lot of people with TB failures that might learn from your experience.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:44 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by whitey
#1 - Creaking/moaning sound while sitting still or moving very slowly and turning the wheel. I have no idea what this could be.
1) Sitting still creaking/moaning - You can try checking your transmission fluid level.
I just recently replaced mine, and when starting the car only with the "first batch" that went into the pan up to the FILL hole, the car had a creaking/moaning noise until I added more fluid. It may be a "shot in the dark" as far as your particular noise, but it is worth trying. After all, it doesn't hurt to get an idea what your tranny fluid level is.

2) Moving very slowly and turning the wheel creaking/moaning sound - it may be your power steering pump and associated items: drive belt, ps fluid level.

Last edited by chefro; 04-07-2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: "FILL" hole for "drain" hole...
Old 04-08-2009, 08:47 AM
1st Gear
Originally Posted by NH_USA
Please give us information about your motor change - What you learned and what it cost. There are a lot of people with TB failures that might learn from your experience.
Originally Posted by NH_USA
I learned that if there is maintenance that needs done, do it! Don't put it off!! I had an oil leak and had already started purchasing parts to fix the oil leak and do the tb/wp this spring/summer when the weather warmed up...I don't have a garage to work in.

A local shop did the work - I didn't have the time or space to work on it in this weather.

Motor was purchased from Fast Enough Performance in Lexington, KY. Those guys are great and if I ever need anything else for my car that's who I'm calling first! Motor came out of an '01 Passat with 93,000 miles on it. Did learn that the sensors, etc. don't use the same connections from VW to Audi. Where the Audi connections were round, VW were square. And where the Audi connections were square, VW were round.

Motor - $1,600
tb/wp kit - $345
outer cv joint (x2) - $180
plug wires - $118
plugs - $36
rotors (x2) - $53
rotors (x2) - $85
snub mount - $33
upper control arms (x2) - $20 (used)
labor - $1925
total - $4395

The way I look at it is that I now have a vehicle that shouldn't require any major maintenance for another 90k miles or so. Had I sold the car for what I could get out of it and then spent the same amount ($4395) for another used car I could very well end up in the same boat I was before.

Do I regret it, or would I do anything differently? Probably not. I love this car, it's plenty big enough to allow for 2 car seats, the awd got me anywhere I needed to go this past winter (when my neighbor's 4x4 blazer would not), the trunk is big enough for long trips, etc.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:48 AM
1st Gear

Also - the transmission did not have to come out of the car (as was advised by another shop). There was plenty of room to get to all the bolts on the bellhousing and seperate the motor from the trans.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:24 PM
3rd Gear

I assume that the motor swap (motor, wires TB kit and labor) cost about $3600 !!

Good to have a bench mark for others that are thinking about taking that route.