Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many diffs can you change the fluid on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 PM
3rd Gear
Default How many diffs can you change the fluid on?

I know my 00 Tip has 3 diffs, a front, center(torsen) and rear. I changed the front and rear fluid and believed that the center was inside the transmission and either shares the atf or can not be changed. The other day I was reading on AW about changing the center/torsen diff fluid. Is this possible? I can find nothing in the Bentley about the center diff other than it says it is a sealed unit.

So, can you change the diff fluid on all three diffs or just the front and rear? If so anyone have pick of the drain plug location.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 06-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: How many diffs can you change the fluid on?

If you wanna drain the torsen diff just remove the rear propshaft seal on the back of the transmission.
Its a good excuse to change the prop seal cause they commonly leak and you get new fluid.
Just remove the prop shaft from the trans, then un-bolt the prop holder (should be 1 T45 torx in the center) and pull it straight out. You should start to see the fluid coming out with the seal still in there, then use a small pry bar or a seal remover and pop the seal out. Let the diff drain and tap in the new seal until its flush with the tail housing of the transmission. Re-assemble in reverse order. Make sure to change the prop shaft bolts because they are a stretch design which means they can only be torqued once.
To fill the diff you will see a square plug on the passenger's side of the tranny that you can use a 3/8 ratchet to remove and then pump the oil in until it starts flowing out the fill hole then you know your full. Its not a very hard job and well worth it.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: How many diffs can you change the fluid on?

Thanks, fortunately for me the previous owner changed the prop shaft seal about 15k miles ago so I guess that means the fluid has been changed at least once. I will open up the fill hole now and check the level and maybe even pump out a little and pump new stuff in there.
It uses just standard gear lube? 75w-90?

Thanks again,
Jeff