Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interesting fight with dealer service department

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:48 PM
1st Gear
Default interesting fight with dealer service department

2004 allroad 2.7t tip

Eight months ago I had a dealer replace the falling headliner on my car (as well as address other items). I made sure to request that they clean out the sunroof drains at the same time.

Three months ago I noticed a significant amount of water in the rear right passenger footwell. I could not find any water in other locations. About the same time by radio started going in and out and finally failed altogether. The head unit still functions (turns on and off, changes channels) but there is no sound. It did come back for a few minutes during a heavy rain, this confirming it is related to a water issue.

Last week I took the car back to the dealer to find and fix the issue. This is where it gets interesting. After having the car two days, the service rep let's me know that there is definitely a leak and they are sending the car back to their interior shop to remove the headliner and find the issue. My assumption was, given the time and cost associated with this process, that they had already checked the most obvious culprit, the sunroof drains. Well, today they call me to tell me that after removing the entire headliner they determined it was a blockage in the drains and any associated repairs (other than replacing the headliner again) would be my cost. I am awaiting the estimate.

It makes no sense to me that an Audi dealer would go this route with out checking the drains first. My concern is that the electronics under the area effected by water, including the transmission control unit, will eventually fail and cost many thousands of dollars to fix.

My car has been very well cared for (thus dealer service) and only has 81k on the odometer. I have already taken the hit for both the timing belt service and inevitable torque converter failure. I want and need this car to last me at least two or three more years of service and feel I need to be aggressive in getting this properly resolved. I pay dealer prices so that when something like this happens it is less of a hassle to get it resolved.

So, my question is, does the collective voice of the forum agree that the dealer's current story fail to pass the sniff test? I just don't believe that they would go the route of removing the headliner with out checking the drains. This leads me to believe they are just trying to avoid the warranty repair.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:47 AM
4th Gear

If they fail to budge, contact Audi of America. They may (or may not) help you with dealing with the dealership.