Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Trunk Ventalation

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 06:55 PM
1st Gear
Default More Trunk Ventalation

I recently installed a system in my A6 but even though I have a powerful sub in my trunk I do not hear as much bass as I should. Due to the quality of the A6, alot of the bass from my sub is muffled. I am wondering if there is a way to get more airflow between the trunk and the cabin? I do not want to just put the seat down but need a good solution that does not comprimise the integrity of the car.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Old 09-07-2006, 02:34 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: More Trunk Ventalation

Fold the center armrest and ski sock cover down. Air should flow thru that area.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

Wait, we can get rid of that stupid fabric behind the arm rest and there is a whole there?

Old 09-07-2006, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear

Only if you have the cold weather package is there a ski sock and panel to fold down. If you don't have the package then you will be stuck with cutting a whole in the fabric which I DO NOT recommend doing. I would suggest having your rear dashboard be ventilated. I had to dynamat my entire rear dahboard because it rattled so bad with the sub. Those grilles on the dashboard that look like speaker grilles are fake and are a prefect place to cut out the plastic and padding without visually destroying the piece. Go talk to Car Toys and see what they say. This would increase the airflow from the trunk space to the cabin.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: prbayha

Only if you have the cold weather package is there a ski sock and panel to fold down. If you don't have the package then you will be stuck with cutting a whole in the fabric which I DO NOT recommend doing. I would suggest having your rear dashboard be ventilated. I had to dynamat my entire rear dahboard because it rattled so bad with the sub. Those grilles on the dashboard that look like speaker grilles are fake and are a prefect place to cut out the plastic and padding without visually destroying the piece. Go talk to Car Toys and see what they say. This would increase the airflow from the trunk space to the cabin.
I am pretty sure I have the cold weather package because behind the arm rest is a plastic thing that folds down and some sort of fabric that I never knew what it was...it has to be a ski sock right, what else could it be. Can I just remove it?

Old 09-08-2006, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

So, how do I remove the ski sock and the plastic door in the trunk?

Old 09-09-2006, 02:34 AM
3rd Gear

That sure sounds like the ski sock. I dont think the sock can be remove seperate from the center armrest. Id really have to have one if front of me to be sure thou. Just folding donw the plastic cover and exposing the ski sock should help with airflow. I dont think that ski sock offers much resistance to airflow.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:04 PM
2nd Gear

well, theres several ways to get more sound. first off, what are you using as far as equipment goes? what amp/amps and sub/subs? what type of enclosure? you should dynamat your trunk, the sides, the lid and the underside of the rear deck. when you dynamat that part, make sure to leave that one hole open that lets the air for up and into the grille underneath the bottom of the rear window. try changing your sub position, have it facing forward, backward or up if u can stand the box up and listen to the same track and you should be able to hear a difference if you listen carefully. ill go look at my ski sock, see if that comes out, because i was interested in that myself, i dont go skiing and i dont really need it. I do want the opening in there because i am about to reinstall the system i pulled from my previous car. ill post pics in the appropriate section of the install process and all that. for the most part, insulating the trunk should help you out. if youre up to the challenge you can modify the rear deck and cut in a pair of 10s or 8s into it and use that as your subs. the enclosures will be in the trunk area and the cones will be in the interior and it should sound just fine. if you do not want to touch that part of the car, maybe upgrading will be the path for you.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

My system is not the problem, I just wanted more airflow for quality purposes. So I looked at the ski sock and there are allen wrench holes and the bottom inside the trunk but the other ones on the side and top are covered. Do you think I can just put off the little platic covers and remove the screws or is this more of a problem than I think?

Old 09-12-2006, 09:35 PM
2nd Gear

well, the simplest thing i can tell you do to get more sound is to insulate the trunk, leave the holes in the rear deck open, remove the rear deck speakers and face your sub backwards if its a rear firing, forward if its a forward firing and obtain a ported box, they are a few Db's up over a sealed, but dont sound as accurate, or increase sub cone area such as getting 2 12's instead of 2 10s or some more power to the exisitng sub