Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on stiffening suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Need advice on stiffening suspension

Here's a story that proves that not researching can cost you. If you don't wish to read all this and know where I'm coming from please skip down to where it says "NEED HELP"

Last November, I decided to upgrade to 18" rims on my 2000 A6 4WD. I used Tirerack.com since they were recommended by my Audi mechanic. I liked how they conveniently asked for my make and model and automatically gave me a list of all rim and tire combos that would work. However, when tried to mount them, the front tires were rubbing against the wheel bearing housing. So basically, they weren't compatible, after Tirerack told me otherwise. And since I couldn't prove the suspension had been lowered, I was screwed. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't matter though since I made sure the diameter of the tire was about the same. So anyway in order to correct the problem, I bought 10mm wheel spacers which extended the wheel past the wheel arches (this required a stud kit to work BTW. This started a whole new problem. Every time I'm driving flat and then hit a hill steeper than 30 degrees or so the front right tire lightly rubs against the wheel arch. As an optimist, I decided to use it as an excuse to stiffen the suspension. I don't know that it's a solution, but logically, if the struts have more resistance to move, the rubbing should stop.

NEED HELP

So, here I am, half a year later, knowing absolutely nothing about suspensions. My goal is simply a stiffer suspension; something that has less bounce. I shy away from this sort of work since a BMW enthusiast I know says these systems are a costly pain in the *** to alter. I'm told Bilstein shocks and H&R springs are the best, which is where some confusion starts when I look at this link.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...RBilsteinCombo

Not even $800 and those are 4 springs and 4 shocks. To get just 2 stock A6 shocks should cost at least $1000 I believe. Are there other components I would have to buy in order to complete the alteration. I'll be really happy if that cheap kit is all I would need, but unfortunately they may not work anyway since H&R springs have a nasty habit of lowering your car even when you don't want that and lowering the car would probably increase the rubbing between the tire and the wheel arch.

If that price is too good to be true or I call AWE and they tell me it will lower the car, than I need suggestions on what parts to get and good quality/value brands. I must continue to point out that I want my car to remain at stock height while upgrading to the stiffest suspension reasonable money can buy (not F1 money, for instance).

It should also be noted that I plan on upgrading to a big brake kit, probably Brembo, someday. So, if that makes a difference, take it in to consideration please.

Sorry about the long post; as a newbie here (this is my first post), I have to make it look like I know something about this stuff,

Thank you

Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

Is there anyway that you could sell the rims that you have and replace them with rims that really fit....then your problem is solved without making anymore modifications.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:35 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2000 2.7. I have 18x8.5 in wheels, 235-40-18 tires, and 5mm spacers from Eibach that came with the bolts. I have stock suspension and I only get a slight rub if I hit a really hard bump. Unless you just want a new suspension, I would take CrazyGuy's advice and just try to unload the rims and get some that fit. Good Luck

Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

A new suspension is why I'm asking. It was going to happen with or without the new rims. I'm especially interested in why that kit on awe-tuning.com seems so cheap. There's an even simpler solution to the rubbing and that's to get tires with an even lower profile, hopefully still street legal. So the goal for me now is race performance in terms of a firmer ride, but keeping the height the same. For instance, if I were to buy those shocks and springs I posted a link to and then installed them, would there be any complications, incompatiblities, etc. What can I do to prevent them?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2009, 05:20 PM
3rd Gear

So...has anyone installed the H&R Sport Coils and Bilstein Sport Shocks? How do they run compared to stock? How much for installation (unless you DIY)? Any advice?

At 140k miles, I may be due for shocks.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

I'm going to respond only because I'm the one who started the thread. And my advice is to ask this as a new topic. I ended up getting new tires with a lower aspect ratio, solving my problem, so I don't have these shocks and springs. For everybody else, they have probably stopped reading this topic by now. Plus, this is an extremely specific item set to have, meaning the only way your going to get significant attention to your question is to have your own topic with an appropriate title. Unless the search function searches more than just titles. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just saying that an answer to your question is probably not coming; as you can see by the amount of replies, there are only a few subscribers receiving emails about your recently added question.

BTW, I see you have tires 235 mm wide with a 40 aspect ratio to fit on 18" rims. Assuming you had no problems, how come my old tires rubbed against the suspension and yours don't?

Last edited by atmetal8472; 06-02-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

all tires are haped differently, tire walls flex more or less.... also depends on offset...

H&R Sport sprigs will lower the car quite a bit, 1.75/1.5 and have a pretty aggressive spring rate, Billstein are great shocks, avg in terms rough/comfy ride...
The combo will be a lot lwloer than stock and much stiffer over rough pavement

Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by atmetal8472
I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just saying that an answer to your question is probably not coming;
Maybe the vast majority of members just DON'T HAVE the aformentioned combination...that's a hypothesis, of course.
I've seen over time quite a few people recommending those two brands, yet nobody really answered to this topic. What that tells you?
It's a very easy proposition to recommend to somebody else something you actually have on your "wish list"...
PPG - if you go the H&R + Bilstein combo route, then it looks like you may be the guinea pig.