Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a TCM or advise of where to go to repair.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Need a TCM or advise of where to go to repair.

I have a 2001 A6 2.7t Quattro. The drain plug clogged under the battery and water came into the car and shorted the TCM. The one I need is # 4B0927156DJ. A new one cost 1,100 or 1,200 dollars. With a reprogramming fee of $150 dollars, is this necessary?

Here are the questions:
1. a new one is so expensive is it worth buying a used one?
2. Is there a company that will refurbish my current TCM? If I do this will I need to reprogram my car system to except a rebuild of my current TCM?
3. If I buy a used one from another car with the same number will it plug and play without a reprogramming fee the dealership claims it will need?

I'm looking for options. I look forward to hearing from the forum.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:43 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry for your loss but there are several companies that offer to repair your TCM for much less than what you would have to spend for a new one.
As far as I know they even have a much better warranty then a new one.

Here are some of the lists I have written down over the past in case it ever happens to me, but I can't guarantee the quality or service of those guys. If you decide to pick one please let me know so I can add a little note that you had a good experience

Products for Audi - Xemodex Inc. | Xemodex Inc. (manufactures ABS module, TCM and instrument cluster - lifetime warranty -> read fine print)

Sonnax - Aftermarket replacement transmission, torque converter, and high performance automotive parts -- Transmission & torque converter parts (they don't actually rebuild it for you, they supply the parts necessary to do it)

http://aesmodules.com/ - offer to rebuild you existing TCM or if that fails buy a reman. from them

.. Oh and to answer your other questions:
2.) No need to reprogram anything since you are putting your TCM back into the same car. Rebuilding a TCM is plug and play
3.) When you buy a used one from a different Audi you need to be 100% certain it matches your part number and it was basically in the same car (which it should since you matched the part numbers). I'd rather play it safe and go for the rebuild.

Last edited by sheldon; 08-09-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

forget Xemodex they screwed with mine twice and failed miserably.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies.

I have contacted Xmodex and they can't do my unit do to the transmission type(quattro). I have contacted the others and are waiting on replies.

I quess I will have to buy a used one. Unless some one else has a suggestion.

Thanks in advance.