General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Advise needed! Who's reponsible for repair?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:03 AM
1st Gear
Default Advise needed! Who's reponsible for repair?

My car is currently sitting at the dealer for cam seals leak.
This is the situation. 4000 miles ago the car had a burning oil smell and some smoke coming from the engine bay from oil dripping on the exaust, the dealer replaced cam seals under warranty along with the valve cover gaskets.
Fast forward less then a year the same exact problem reoccurs. The warranty is already expired.
Now the car is at a different Audi dealer, they said the cam seals were leaking because some hoses were clogged and caused the leak. They said they will fix the cam seals for free but they said I need to pay $500 for the hoses. I told them that I don't think thats really fair because it is obvious the first dealer didn't completely diagnose the problem and as a result I have the same exact problem only 4000 miles later.I am not saying that the hoses were ok, but they would have been replaced under the extended warranty when the car was repaired.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

I believe you need to have a conversation with the original reparing dealer. Seems like they may have not diagnosed your problem completely. I don't think they'd ever admit to that so you're probably gonna be out the money for the hoses.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

The cam seals are not expensive, no wonder they'll do them for free... but $ 500 for the hoses is too much, sounds like you're getting hosed.
I thought I read some where, a price of $ 150 for the emission hoses. They do plug up and can cause the cam seals to go again.
But also have them check/replace your suction pump at the back of the engine, this also will cause back pressure, which causes the seals to leak.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:06 AM
2nd Gear

cam seals leak if there is a problem with the pcv system.. i do agree..i think your gonna get taken for the hoses.. and all they have to say is.. "yeah we checked them and they were fine then".. so your gonna have to pay for that...

Old 01-02-2009, 10:24 AM
1st Gear

thats what I think they are trying to do. I doubt they gonna admit the hoses might have been clogged the first time they did the seals.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

As I expected the service advisor from the first dealership told me that the hoses are my responsibility and they are not gonna pay for them. He said if they were bad we would have them replaced. I said how is it possible for the hoses to clog in less then 4000 miles unless if they were bad to begin with. We've had quite a few Audis in the family and I never seen cam seals go bad in 4000 miles unless if there was another issue associated with it. He said, I don't know what to tell you, you gonna have to talk to a manager. Do I stand a chance at all or should I just give up and pay and be done with it? Or should I call audi of america.
This reminds me of a situation when our 2003 passat's heated seat caught on fire (passats had a recall on the heated seats that was performed 5 months prior to that) and the local dealer refused to fix it because they were not the one that did the recall work. I call VW of America and it was done the next day. I didn't even have to argue about it.

Last edited by redhammer; 01-02-2009 at 07:18 PM.