Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil capacities and overfills? (3.2 specific)

Old 01-29-2011, 03:11 PM
1st Gear
Question Oil capacities and overfills? (3.2 specific)

So I still don't have the manuals for the '07 3.2 I bought last week. When I bought it, the service minder said it was 600 over on its maintenance window. I got the dealership (VW/Volvo/Porsche) to do a free oil change for me. When I got home, I noticed that the motor sounded slightly different. It was a little louder and had a bit of a tic. I immediately checked the oil and even just after I stopped, it looked to me like it was overfilled. I left it over night and checked again this afternoon and it's definitely over the max line, but I can't really tell by how much. It also appears to me that I may have dripped some oil on the floor. I'm hoping I can chalk that up to a poor job of cleaning up the undercarriage.

Three questions: If they did overfill it, does the noise I noticed make sense? What kind of damage can be incurred if it's overfilled slightly? significantly? Last, what is the oil capacity of the 3.2 with an oil change (with and without the filter)?

I believe I found a thread that said it's 6.9 usqt, but I would like confirmation. I'm thinking of just changing it myself tomorrow for piece of mind. On that note, one more question: Jack points for a C6 Avant?

Also, I was kind of annoyed that the VW techs couldn't reset the service minder. My VAG-COM upgrade is still a few days out.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Scorpion
I believe I found a thread that said it's 6.9 usqt, but I would like confirmation.
Consider that confirmed.

UberTeile

Old 01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Thanks.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 PM
1st Gear

Scorpion

https://www.amsoil.com/products/appl...aspx?zo=531421

You can find all the fluid and filters re your car...

Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 AM
2nd Gear

Slightly overfilling = no problems, there is room for variation. Greatly overfilling = crankshaft counterweights hitting the oil as it spins causing aireation of oil causing loss of oil pressure causing lots of damage. But, I doubt that happened. They probably put in the correct oil so the thicker stuff they took out no longer masks the ticking noise that was the reason for using the thicker oil in the first place. Is the ticking a problem? Find the source then let us know and we can give our opinions.

Bob

Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

So the dealership drained and refilled it for me this morning.

Several points of entertainment for you all: the service coordinator I called on Saturday "checked with his engineers." They said there was absolutely nothing to worry about even if it was overfilled. It would take "thousands of miles" before any damage was done. Any damage would be to the emissions control systems.

The mechanic who actually did the work this morning seemed peeved. He said it was barely overfilled. When I check this morning before leaving I swear it was over the top of the ball on the dipstick. When I told him that, he replied: "well it was only like half a quart over..."

He also told me that when I brought it in on Friday the oil plug was a little bit loose. Keep in mind that they are the ones who were supposed to have serviced it before they sold it to me. The loose plug "left oil on my skid plate" and that's probably what I saw on the garage floor.

The good news is that the ticking seems to have gone away with the drain. We'll see in the morning what the level is and whether any new drip is on the floor.