Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Default Parking Brake Fault

I have a 2006 A6 with 9000 miles on it.I get a parking brake fault (Parking Brake Malfunction on the dash, and flashing light on the brake switch) whenmy car sits outside in the heat for extended periods of time (I'm talking Atlanta heat, so 95 degrees F is common in the summer). After the first instance, when I was unable to release the brake until the car cooled off, I stopped setting the brake when I have to park outside in the heat. Lately, I am getting the fault whenever I park in the sun, even though I don't set the brake. It gives the (annoying) beep and indicates the parking brake malfunction. I have taken the car in several times, but the dealer has been unable to duplicate the fault. Driving to the dealer is a huge pain, so I am thinking of getting an OBD tool to see what the code is. I am onlyhesitating because the dealer didn't get a code last time and I am not sure if it because they couldn't duplicate the problem or becausethe parking brake sensor is not hooked up to the CAN. Any ideas?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Parking Brake Fault

This really seems to be an odd problem, but there should be code stored in the control unit

There is really nothing i can do to help on here, but i would like to hear some updates

Old 06-08-2007, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

I have a similiar problem with my 02 A6 avant. Only I get the warning after the car has sat in the cold(Wisconsin winter) It also seems to happen when I make a right hand turn when it's cold. The warning is not on the lcd screen, but just it reads "brake" in red on the dash. I just lived with it last winter. Maybe I'll try to fix it next winter.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dmayer75

I have a similiar problem with my 02 A6 avant. Only I get the warning after the car has sat in the cold(Wisconsin winter) It also seems to happen when I make a right hand turn when it's cold. The warning is not on the lcd screen, but just it reads "brake" in red on the dash. I just lived with it last winter. Maybe I'll try to fix it next winter.
Your problem is completly different, due to the fact that you have a tottaly different car then the original poster

the problem you are having is most likely cause by low brake fluid, possibly from low brake pads