Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Squealing Fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 AM
Default Squealing Fan

My '00 A8 with 145k has squealing aux fan (the one next to the belt-driven fan) especially in cold weather. Needs replacement. Do you need to remove bumber to get at it, or is it all done under the hood? Thanks.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Site Moderator

Yes, you have to pull the bumper off and then pull the lock carrier forwards a bit so you can work. Find a DIY for a timing belt job (any audi will do, they are all just about the same) and see how the lock carrier comes forward. The only difference is you won't be disconnecting any coolant lines, you just want to pull it forward enough to get at the fan.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:11 PM
2nd Gear

I changed the aux fan in my '01 A8 easily, WITHOUT pulling the front end off.

I just popped off the cam belt cover on that side to gain a little clearance.

The fan assembly bayonet locks into the radiator cover...3 slots...one on drivers side has a tab-lock to release it. Twist a few degrees, it unlocks and pops right out. I got to the wire connection under the car...15-20 minute job.

I recently did the timing belt, rollers, pump & thermostat on this car without removing bumper or moving lock carrier. It was a little tight, but had plenty of room for every tool and adjustment.
Piece of cake to get both fans out, before accessory belt...then loads of room to do T-belt, etc.. Easily removed the engine torque support, with no need to remove the body mounted portion.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

P.S. I know the Bentley Manual says to pull the front end to change the aux fan, but I changed mine before I even bought the Bentley CD....and laughed hard later when I saw what it said, after I'd done the job easily my way.

P.S.S. Virtually EVERYONE says that you MUST remove front end to do the timing belt job and yes it leaves much more room to work. But in my case, and my model car, I found it very possible to simplify the job and didn't have a single problem.
Take the advice of whomever you trust. I am NOT a "professional" mechanic, but have done most all of my own work for many years on VW's, Porsche's and Audi's.
I use the Bentley manual as a guide, but many can tell you that Bentley isn't always dead on and often leaves out important info altogether. For instance, my Bentley CD for D2 platform recommends moving the lock carrier for many procedures (most not neccessary), BUT nowhere in the manual tells you how!!! ...it ain't in there!

Last edited by silverd2; 07-05-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Administrator

Welcome to the boards, SilverD2. Sounds like you'll be a big help, too! Feel free to explore some of teh other sections, as well. There's lots to see, and lots of random fun in the off-topic section. We try to keep everything good-natured, and teh flames to a minimum.

C-ya 'round.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the welcome...happy to be here and help any way I can.

I never mean to offend other members of a forum by offering an alternative method of repair and hope it did not have that effect. I'll only speak out when it's backed by personal experience and only as a suggestion.

Believe me, I'll have lots of upcoming questions about problems with which I've had no experience and will welcome all advice.

Thanks guys