Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange clanking noise on startup

Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Default Strange clanking noise on startup

Hi,

I've been browsing these forums for a while, trying to gather some good info on various fixes for my girlfriend's Audi A6 Quattro (1996). I have successfully changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter (easy tasks for the most part).

One problem that has me stumped is a strange clanking noise coming from the front of the engine when it is started (cold).

The best way I could describe the noise is an intermittent "cluck" noise, it sounds almost as if a plastic fan is occasionally hitting something metal. After the car has warmed up it goes away. I'm not necessarily saying it's a fan that's a problem, but if you could imagine that kind of sound you'll know what I'm hearing.

Upon inspection of the engine compartment while the car is running, I determined the sound is coming from the front of the engine near or directly attached to one of the belts. The right ?timing belt cover seemed to have the "shock" of each of the clanks felt in it, but i popped the cover off (mostly, without removing the main belt on the very front) and nothing seemed awry inside. I even tried blowing out the inside with compressed air, afterwords I couldn't really feel any vibrations in it, but the sound persisted. After listening for a little while longer I think that the sound is actually coming from lower down, possibly the A/C compressor or alternator or power steering (assuming they're connected down there).

Does anyone else know about remedying this situation? Is it something as simple as lubricating the A/C compressor's clutch, or could it be something worse, like the timing belt. (she claims the belt was changed when she bought it, hasn't put more than 15k miles on it since).

Thanks for any info.