Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat or electrical fan..maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 01:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Thermostat or electrical fan..maybe?

Hi, I'm sorry, I'm new here and if I am doing this wrong please excuse me but I really need some advice.

Saturday we had the AC recharged in my 2000 A6 that night we discovered the engine coolant reservoir was leaking. Sunday morning we replaced the reservoir and drove up through the mountains. When we stopped steam started coming from under the hood and when we opened the hood the screw top lid to the newly replaced tank shot off and sprayed hot engine coolant all over my husband. We let the car cool for several hours and added more coolant to get it down the mountain, once down the mountain the car started to over heat again when we parked all of the coolant drained from the car. Again we let it sit and cool off and added more coolant. To get it home we had to drive with the heater on full blast and all the windows down and it made it back perfectly fine with no problems and no over heating. So now we are getting different people telling us it could be different things. My husband and I both know quite a bit about cars but not a lot about this car. Do we need to replace the thermostat or is the electrical fan not working?

Or are we completely off and could it be something else?

(Today when I drove the car it was working fine until I had to park on the 7TH floor of a parking garage. By the time the car got to the 7TH floor it had started to over heat again.)

I really love my car, and I really want to get it fixed up but I am lost on this. Any help or advice is really appreciated!

**edit** - Husband says the fan is not kicking on at all, and is asking what could be causing that? Said he checked fuse #34 and it is fine but discovered there are quite a few missing fuses. We will be replacing those missing but any other suggestions?

Last edited by MKXKAMariscal; 07-16-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 AM
2nd Gear

When the expansion tank was changed, was the coolant system bled of air? To me it sounds like there is air in the system which isn't allowing coolant to flow properly through the system.

Also, which fan are we talking about here? There are three fans: One is belt driven that is attached to the serpentine belt system, the other sits directly in front of the radiator, and the other sites behind it, off center towards the passenger side. Try putting the AC on "LO" on both sides and see if the fans kick on.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

How do we bleed the system of air?

It's the fan that is off center next to the serpentine fan.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 PM
2nd Gear

It may vary from model to model, but on the 2.7T there is a bleed screw at the top of the engine (just below the intake manifold) that you must open to let air out. I believe it is an 8mm allen bolt. After that, you must then bleed the system from the heater core.

Also, by having the AC on "LO" should turn that off-center fan on. If not, it could be a blown fuse, faulty wiring, a bad fan, or a bad FCM.

Your problem sounds like air within the coolant system, though.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

Is it the same for the 2.8?

Also, turning the AC on LO did not turn on that fan.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:57 AM
2nd Gear

The following images should help with finding the bleed points on the coolant system:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/br...1_142708_6.gif
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/Photo0117.jpg

The first image is the bleed screw on the cross over pipe around the intake manifold and the second is the heater core. Note the circle on the left tube; Squeeze the clip and pull the tube off of the pipe gently until the hole passes the end of the pipe. Eventually you will see a steady stream of coolant come out. Once you do, return the tube to the normal position and replace the clip to where it was before.

When performing the bleeding process make sure the expansion tank's cap is off. The car doesn't have to be running to do this process.

As far as that auxiliary fan not working, Has the car been put into service position recently? I ask because I can honestly see someone not plugging it back in. Although it's a long shot, it would be the cheapest and easiest thing to fix at this point.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for your suggestion to bleed the lines. It helped a bit but we found the fuse for the fan was blown. We replaced the fuse and the car was running great but then it blew the fuse again and over heated. Would replacing the fan fix this issue or is there some other suggestions you may have? Thank you for all of your help.