Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration still there

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:21 AM
1st Gear
Default Vibration still there

I went to discount tire today beacuse they were the only ones that have the Hunter GSP9700 Wheel Vibration Control System..i paid 50 bucks for them to check all four of my tires and i took it for a test drive and nothing changed i still have the vibrations @ 50-60mph and 70-80mph anywhere inbetween i have no problems...the tires are only 2 years old and dont even have 20k miles on them they are still under warranty... the guy that worked there said that he didnt see anything wrong with the tires...im really getting tired of it and i hate the vibrations..has anybody experienced anything like this before? what else could be wrong with my car?

By the way the tires that are on my car are made by GOOD YEAR and the wheels are stock...

Any suggestions would be appreciated....THANKS!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 04:49 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Vibration still there

ANYBODY???

Old 01-29-2007, 07:27 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem with my 3000GT. The thing was that Firestone was using center weight (the one that gets mounted on the inner or outer lip of the rim) this was wrong. Try balancing your wheels with strap weights. Strap weights are strapped on the inner surface of the rim. They worked fine for me.
Sometimes tires are not installed properly. There is a center point where the tires are much heavier (more dense) and the same thing for the rims. These are marked on the tires by a colored dot (usually red, white or noticeable black same thing with the rims. This requires that the denserspot of the tire is matched with the denser spot on the rims, these offsets the weight throwing off. Centripetal force.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

my car vibrates when the engine is on and sitting in park not even drviing, does that count?

Old 01-31-2007, 10:32 PM

Please post if you resolve this.. I have an '03 2.7T with the same problem. I just got the car about a month ago and suspected the tires, but not their installation. So if you try this and it works please give a shout.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:36 AM
1st Gear

Well today i went to discount tire again and told them that the balancing and rotating didnt help the problem...so this guy that i know hooked meup with with some new 225/55/R16 Michelin Tires for $290 with lieftime replacement warranty...these tires usually run about 700...so i went out for a ride took it up to 80mph and the car runs smooth like butter...i have no more vibration problems...this concluded that my tires somehow were bad they couldnt explain to me what was wrong with them...so if anybody has a similarproblem u might want to consider getting new tires...

Old 02-20-2007, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

That means you need a tune up. Your car is idling too high also what kind of fuel you are using? For turbo cars it is important that you use 89-92 octane level.I useChevron 89or 91 give me better gas mileage and my engine runs smooth and quick response to acceleration. I tried 76 but after it was bought out by BP the same company who also owns ARCO, I have noticed the gas quality has dropped, giving me poor gas mileage and the car seemed to loose its acceleration response. After switching to Chevron I am stuck to it. I pay a little more but I know my motor is in good condition.
If you understand gas and how it does its job than you’ll know what it is doing. It takes more time to burn a 91 octane than an 87 octane. The pistons are linked to your rocker arm and everything is timed. Now picture your valves and Audi has 5 per cylinder (same as Ferrari). Let’s take Audi V6 2.7 Turbo. 3 of your piston will come up and 3 of your piston will go down and this is on a cycle base. 3 goes up 100% and 3 goes down 100%. In order to create a momentum among the piston - the 3 pistons which are up gets pushed by fuel igniting and creating a force to push back your pistons. Now imagine driving an automatic car on drive at 70mph and immediately without stopping shoving it into Reverse (Don’t try this you will ruin your tranny and maybe your transfer case will crack open). Scary **** right. Now same thing with your engine your piston has to complete its cycle, if you give your car 87 octane than at the combustion chamber (this is between cylinder and the valves, basically your cylinder barrel) 87 will ignite way before the 3 cylinder comes up and the other 3 cylinder goes down completely. Basically cylinders are traveling at 80% distance and than returning. This is screwing your timing for rotation and your rocker arm is taking a beating here.
That will cause your car to vibrate the only reason you are not feeling much of the vibration while driving is because other things are cancelling the feeling of vibrations out but it doesn’t mean that your engine is not vibrating. Hopefully this helps.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:56 PM

vibration at certain speeds with aftermarket alloys could also mean you dont have spigot rings fitted
http://images.google.co.uk/images?gb...gs&spell=1

so you could balance them as many times as you like and the wont line up,
your tyre/wheel fitter should know this

Old 02-21-2007, 03:16 AM
1st Gear

The tires and wheel are stock...