B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

2001 Audi A4 - No Electrical fire

Old 03-02-2016, 10:29 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 Audi A4 - No Electrical fire

HELP...My daughter 115K mile 1.8l T Audi stopped running on way to work last week..been in shop since then. Audi mechanic fears its the computer because "nothing" else explain the no fire symptom (I'm guess all other items checked out - coil packs, cam pos. sensor, crank pos. sensor.....I replaced cam/crank sensors before car w/ to shop w/ no affect on cars no firing.....
-This independent shop, work on Audi "everyday", say he cannot install new computer as it must be programmed by Audi....

Can anyone speak to this problem if the answer is "new computer"?

They are still trying to figure something out that less $ here - ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Larry
Georgia
text/cell (404) 579-3646

Old 03-02-2016, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

So this means there is no spark at all, engine cranks, gets fuel and there isn't a rats nest in the air filter box blocking air flow?

Going to assume it has fuel pressure to the injectors and you can hear the fuel pump running for about 2 seconds when the key is turned on (listen at the gas cap with the cap off). and you can hear the injectors clicking while the engine is being cranked.

The Audi mechanic has the VAG COM software and he can either communicate with the engine controller, or it shows up as missing, or with no communications to it. that would certainly point towards the controller. If the software sees it and can communicate with it then chances are its not the computer. If he can communicate with the engine controller what kind of error codes are there. Fuses have all been checked and everything is good?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:22 AM
2nd Gear

I put a different (tuned) ECU (of the same ECU model and type) in my car and it was straight plug and play. No problems at all.

If you find out that you need an ECU, let me know and we'll see if they're compatible. If they are, I'll sell you my stock ECU for a hell of a lot less than any shop will (especially Audi).

G/L

Old 03-03-2016, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear

You don't need to have audi program the ECU, makes me think the shop is not so good as they claim. ECU's can be had on eBay for around....wait for it....$20.....there's some posts on here as to how to match them up, and then use the VAG COM software to program, not that difficult.....

Doesn't fire, you mean doesn't start? it just died one day while driving it? Going to guess you don't have the codes? If you do post them here.....

Can you give us more information? Turns over and won't start? Does it even try to start...

I'll be completely honest with you....this happened to TWO of my Audis, my TT and my B6...no codes were thrown...it was the FUEL PUMP...here's a little trick...the fuel pump is either under the rear seat or in the trunk...if you can get access to it, 3 bolts to take fuel pump access cover off.....use a rubber mallet, or something like a wooden rod, while someone CRANKS the engine, beat the top of the fuel pump lightly.....without cracking it, your best bet is you can even beat the top of the access panel(metal) with a rubber mallet really hard....if it TRIES to start while doing this, it's your fuel pump.....

If it just DIED going down the road, even stuttered a bit before it did that, with no other problems, my money is on your fuel pump....or fuel filter.....

Other than that, post more info....

Last edited by markymarc; 03-03-2016 at 04:23 PM.