Audi won't go into reverse - Page 2 - AudiForums.com

Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A4 > B5 Models
Audi won't go into reverse >

Audi won't go into reverse

Notices
B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Audi won't go into reverse

Old 11-13-2016, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Subarashī Kao View Post
ahh you are in luck gentleman as i am currently looking into finding the culprit my dads 2001 a4 1.8t automatic is doing the same thing but check this out when the maf sensor is plug in car wont go reverse but when maf is unplug car will reverse fine normal and check engine light is one as well.

We think its a wiring issue or maybe an open or short on a wire, for now we keep the maf unplug to have the reverse work till we find what is the reason behind it we know is not the maf itself but something related to it.

i will make sure to mention the fix if i ever get to the bottom of it.
Hi, I realize this is an old thread. Did you ever find a fix to this?
I'm having this issue where I have reverse for ~2 seconds, then it disengages
but if I go Neutral Reverse again, I get another 2 seconds of reverse.
Only when hot and reverse is fine when MAF is unplugged. MAF voltages
appear fine with +12V,+5V ref, ground and ~1.6V signal at idle.
Have scoured the net and nobody seems to have a solution for this.
Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by audi34 View Post
Hi,

I have 1997 Audi A4 1.8 automatic my issue is Audi won't move into reverse but will go forward. I can move the automatic shift into forward neutral and reverse but when in reverse it won't move. Check engine light is also on. Never had that happen, I remember driving over quite bit of water the other day. That could be a reason what I'm thinking, and also I can't locate the transmission dip stick anywhere around the engine compartment, where would I find that to check transmission liquid? Any suggestions or insights are appreciate it.
Thank you,
Have your torque converter checked out. I had the same problem and out of no where my Audi couldn’t go forward but reversed instead. I had different mechanics until I had one tell me it was not the transmission but the torque converter was bad and wasn’t producing enough power to move the car. When that happens the computer starts telling the car not to move from getting damaged.