B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

coilover vs lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TaConklin
I've got Eibach shocks + springs. Ride height is perfect (for me) as seen below, and the ride is nice. Stiffer than stock, but not uncomfortably so.

how much money did you invest in that?

Also, I need some general clarification. I know at least a few members on this forum have bought these coilovers before, but i want to know if that price is per shock or for the whole shebang. (dont make me feel stupid please )
Suspension - V-Maxx B5 A4/S4 Quattro Coilover Suspension

Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Administrator

^ That's for the whole kit. I believe ImTheDevil is running those and aledelic42 used to run those.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

I think the v-maxx kit is great for looks, but from what I've read (I haven't been in a car with them) they kinda suck for performance. I'm sure if you search you could find plenty of reviews.

I was debating on Vmaxx ($550ish) vs. Bilstein/H&R kit ($700ish) and went with the Bilstein/H&R kit. I don't regret the decision between those but I wish I had saved a bit more and got ST's.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Vmaxx is very soft on the primary coil section. The springs are progressively wound but the transition is abrupt. You go from inch-spaced coils to coils stacked on each other very quickly, at which point it's like having steel bars for springs. Overall, Vmaxx isn't worth it. I'm throwing mine in a dumpster and switching to something better soon. On top of that, the threads are ridiculously fine and tend to corrode, locking the perches where they sit and eliminating the ability to adjust height. Don't bother.

Friend of mine got STs for $750 recently and loves them. Others paid around $1000 and said they're well worth it. I'm going back to a static ride height. Screw height adjustment. I prefer to set and forget the ride height. There's enough to dick with on these cars as it is, without messing with height and alignment a couple times a year.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Legal Moderator

my girlfriend just asked what i wanted for christmas. my reply is Coilover Kit for Audi A4 B5 Quattro cant beat the price but there isnt much for reviews on them. i think the money you save is worth finding out if theyre any decent or not but from what ive read theyre right up there with others like vmaxx. again i know not the best but considering the price...

Old 11-03-2011, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear

Maybe I just got lucky, but my Vmaxx coilovers have been great. I took some preventative measures with them, but it worked out in the end. Not taking away from your story jeremy. I think coilovers are the way to go though. You might as well spend the money now. Maybe in the future you will move to a place that will require a higher stance or may allow you to go lower. You may change rim sizes, wanna roll fenders to go lower, get a skid plate and go lower, get snow and go higher, have speedbumps and go higher, go to a show and lower, go to the track and go lower or higher, adjust for body weight on driver side, go on vacation and need to go higher...im just saying that the option is there for you to adjust. Not that you would be adjusting all that much cause I would just get airbags if you are changing ride height every week lol. But yeah, coilovers are more expensive but give you the confort of knowing you can do things with them. Just my opinion.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Aren't there different versions of V-Maxx? I heard the newer V-Maxx are better than the older/first ones that came out. Different story with ST's though, I've heard the older ones are way better than the new ones.

I personally agree with Joey. I go through wheels pretty often so getting the right ride height setup is a necessity for me. I guess it really comes down to each individual and what you're planning on doing to your car. I personally feel coilovers are worth the money. Beside you can't really go all that low with just springs and shocks.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

I currently am rocking the Bilstein Struts w/ Neuspeed Springs, very smooth ride but I hate that the rear is higher then the front, I'm currently looking into getting different springs with the same height for front and rear any suggestions would be great.

Name:  a7b5159f.jpg
Views: 2404
Size:  96.1 KB

Old 07-04-2017, 11:21 PM
2nd Gear

I have the sport package, which is nice. If you want the best of both worlds and you don't care if everything is new, just buy a pair of used S4 strut assemblies on ebay. They're like $50 a side (complete coilover and perch). Ebay has a great return policy and worst case scenario: You're out $50 - $100.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:23 PM
2nd Gear

I just realized this thread is old as ****.