B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help; Changing rear brake pads(caliper stuck)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Help; Changing rear brake pads(caliper stuck)

Ok just changing the brake pads on my brothers 2001 A4 quattro. Well fronts went fine, rear not so much. I have a tool to screw in the rearpiston but when i screw it clockwise the piston doesnt go in at all, it just stays in the same place(observed by putting the old pads back on and the caliper fitting same way as removed, if maybe a cm of extra room). No matter how much i screw it in the puston just stays put. If i screw ccw, the piston will actually come out even further, and can then be screwed in the same amount. Im using a pretty good amount of pressure(although its very awkward arrangement), not sure if i need more force. I have also cracked the bleader valve to relieve any pressure that could be stopping movement, no luck there either.

Soo any tips, advice, spoilers greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2008, 01:35 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Help; Changing rear brake pads(caliper stuck)

This is a remote chance, but the bleeder could be screwed up. Take off the brake fluid reservoir cap instead (just don't hit the pedal without putting it back on first). See if that helps you get the piston retracted.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 AM

i had the same problem last week and i just kept messing around with it until it worked. i actually pushed on the pedal and the piston came all the way out. when iw as trying to put it back in i squeezed on the rubber around the piston causing brake fluid to shoot out then it went in fine but i had to bleed the fluid which is easy to do. so maybe open up the unscrew the bleeder bolt and let some fluid out?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 AM

my bad didnt read the last sentence lol

Old 12-16-2008, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by paintballpimp765
i had the same problem last week and i just kept messing around with it until it worked. i actually pushed on the pedal and the piston came all the way out. when iw as trying to put it back in i squeezed on the rubber around the piston causing brake fluid to shoot out then it went in fine but i had to bleed the fluid which is easy to do. so maybe open up the unscrew the bleeder bolt and let some fluid out?
Hey sorry to bump a somewhat old thread, but this is exactly what I did to my rear caliper piston. There was fluid that squirted out of the boot. Does this mean that I blew the seals and need a rebuild? If anyone has any info on this, it would be much appreciated!!!