B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Replaced CV half shaft... went out 2 days later

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Default Replaced CV half shaft... went out 2 days later

The right front outer boot split and subsequently the axle siezed up on my 00 A4 1.8T Q.

I ordered aftermarket replacement half shafts for both sides and replaced them the other day. Everything felt fine, and I put about 75 miles on the car when all of the sudden it felt like it seized up again.

I had no power transferring to the wheels (just like before), so I pulled it over. I haven't had a chance to pull it off and check the condition of the part yet... but I wanted to get some feedback before I started.

Does this just sound like a faulty part? Could this mean the differential is bad? I'm about ready to pull my hair out right now and I'd love any feedback I could possibly get.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:14 PM
5th Gear

it's either a faulty part or a halfshaft fell out of the sleeve. i'd check if they're in first before claiming them faulty.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 PM
3rd Gear

did you forget to torque the bolts that hold it to the transmission correctly? if those worked loose and the shaft fell off, you would also have no power to the ground.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 PM
4th Gear

i hope you got new bolts. after i replaced mine the bolts failed and the axle fell out. also did you regrease everything

Old 03-03-2009, 11:58 PM

I just pulled it out. The inner joint had seized up, and subsequently it stripped one of the bolts out and worked the others loose too.

I don't understand why it seized... I packed the hell out of it. It was a really cheap part so maybe the bearings were crap or something...

Now hopefully they replace it for me. FYI- I got it from FCP Groton. They were only $115 each side for the full half shaft. I guess that may explain something...

Thanks for the posts!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:26 AM
5th Gear

i'd get a remaned one or brand new. try mjmautohaus.com or if you're in or near NY try germanautoparts.com they should give you another one or your money back. they're supposed to come ready to install without packing any grease though

Old 03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

A friend of mine who owns a Beamer is saying that FCP Groton is rapidly becoming one of the most hated suppliers on online BMW forums. Apparently the # of cases where their parts broke or just malfunctioned is pretty high.

Not sure how much claim behind but someone who owns a s4 in this forum(or audizine maybe?) replaced an axle with a FCP one and it lasted 14 days.

I'm going through their site now and they sell complete control arms kit for less than $300?! not to mention the 2.8 complete timing belt kit for $150 (which ECS, Blauparts, etc sell for $300)

I dont know, I'm a big believer of "you get what you pay for"

Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

When you up the bolts back you should use thread locker.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Administrator

My experience with this - I got a pair of Empi axles from germanautoparts, and have had no problems. On the A4 quattro, the outer joint is sealed when it arrives, but the inner is open. You pack the grease and install the axle. I've had no problems in about 13k miles. A friend of ours here with a B5 30v Passat has been through four or five axles in the last couple weeks (both Empi and another more costly brand). Each has lasted between 20 miles and four days. Apparently they're being manufactured wrong and the lengths aren't right (we measured to verify this). When they're installed, the shorter length is "stretching" the CV joints and destroying them. He's had enough and has ordered the inner CV joint rebuild kit to rebuild his OEM axle. I'd highly recommend you do this too, based on what we've seen lately. I may have gotten lucky with my axles. He definitely didn't. GermanAutoParts is the source he's been using, and they've been really great about replacing axles when they fail, shipping to him free, and giving full refunds on everything that goes back - none of us are faulting them at all -they're going out of their way to be stand-up about it and try to get his problem solved.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by andysburton
I just pulled it out. The inner joint had seized up, and subsequently it stripped one of the bolts out and worked the others loose too.

I don't understand why it seized... I packed the hell out of it. It was a really cheap part so maybe the bearings were crap or something...

Now hopefully they replace it for me. FYI- I got it from FCP Groton. They were only $115 each side for the full half shaft. I guess that may explain something...

Thanks for the posts!
sounds like what happened to me, its definetly the bolts, my just came off and i guess it was still turning and pretty much siezed and broke the inner joint. luckily mine was under warranty and i had a new on 2 days later with new bolts at $36 for a set of 6 from VW.